Day eight Nurmurkah to Nathalia - Australia's Great River - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2018

Day eight Nurmurkah to Nathalia

Monday 14 May 2018

Nurmurkah to Nathalia.

27km. Start 9.45 Arrive 12.05

A calm day with a slightly undulating and curving road mostly following the Broken Creek which was adjacent to our caravan park in Nurmurkah. Much more interesting than those dead straight roads that we have encountered.

leaving Numurkah Caravan Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw in the distance some mounds covered by huge tarpaulins which turned out to be canola oil seed stored after harvesting. There was a large B double truck being loaded with the seeds by means of very large front end loader to be transported to the oil seed processing plant in Nurmurkah.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The brown pile is canola seeds.
Heart 1 Comment 0

http://www.graincorp.com.au/graincorp-oils/oilseeds

the flat almost empty road to Nathalia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arriving in Nathalia we found Al's Cafe for lunch where Mary had a sandwich and Mike had a hamburger. We then crossed over to the Information Centre where  behind the jump we found  Jennie who had assisted us in Cobram !  Most of the area is devoted to explanation and interpretation of the Barmah Forest Wetlands an area of significant world interest. The display also covered the history of the white settlers use of the area as well as its use by the First Australians.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A painting on a wall is called a mural but I don't know what a painting on the floor is called but these items are a few selections from a large area of the floor. The artist certainly did a good job of it.

That lizzard is painted onto the floor, not a model!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We will be staying in Barmah tomorrow. Tonight we are at the Riverbank Caravan Park. We went to the Bridge Hotel for dinner where we shared a Thai Red Chicken and a Thai Green Veggie curry with a single serve of rice and a Roti on the side. The portions were generous and we took a doggie bag home with what we had not managed to eat.

Obviously you are not a real world traveller until you have been to Nathalia!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riverbanks Caravan Park, Nathalia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broken Creek which wound its way around three sides of the caravan park
Heart 0 Comment 0
we walked along the top of the levee bank from the caravan park (on the left) to the Bridge Hotel for dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 239 km (148 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0