We're off! Durham to Tynemouth - Around the Alps - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2022

We're off! Durham to Tynemouth

This ride officially begins in Salzburg.  But I'm going to avoid flying on this trip, so that means a ferry and a few trains to get to the start-line.  And, to get to the ferry, a gentle (or gentle-ish) ride up the coast, from my home in Durham to the ferry port in Tynemouth.  (I've been feeling quite smug about this, given the general travel mayhem affecting trains and airports in the UK this summer: only punctures can stop me from getting away!)

Pausing for a breather after the first (and steepest) hill of the day. It isn't a bad view...
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWe didn’t make it this far north of course, but I really like how familiar this view looks. It’s great to have a better mental image of Britain now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I'll miss the Tour of Britain when it comes to County Durham next week: a pity -- but at least I get to enjoy the lovely smooth roads which they've resurfaced in its honour.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's a lovely day in the north-east today, so I decide to go the slightly longer route: out to the coast at Sunderland, and then up.  This has the advantage that I can stop for lunch at a very good fish shop en route, for a smoked salmon butty (and chips); and another advantage that I can take the passenger & cycle ferry across the Tyne.

View of the Big Ferry (to the Netherlands) from the Little Ferry (across the Tyne)
Heart 4 Comment 0

A quick detour to the North Shields fish quay for an ice-cream, and then it was an easy ride into the port: quickly through the passport and customs checks, but there was a bit of hanging around while they loaded all the lorries on to the boat -- the cyclists were squeezed on last. Still less stressful than an airport mind you...

Sailing into (ok: away from!) the sunset... A pod of (minke?) whales followed us for a little while too.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 48 km (30 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0