Day 5: Connellsville, PA to Pittsburgh, PA - Biking while Black: Riding the C&O and GAP Trail - CycleBlaze

Day 5: Connellsville, PA to Pittsburgh, PA

Wednesday (10/27/21)

Last day

We wake up for our final day of riding and fill up on complimentary hotel breakfast. I have scrambled eggs, sausage links, a bagel, 2 blueberry muffins & Fruit Loops with whole milk. Is it possible to develop diabetes on a bike-tour? I'd soon find out. 

While checking out of the hotel an older woman in the lobby chats up Allison. She learns of our adventure and mentions that she's completed the trail herself and would like to do it again one day 'If I'm still alive', before laughing. It's a hopeful conversation and contrasts those we'd had previously, in which people seemingly viewed the idea this trip unfeasible. If we can do it and this woman can still do it, why can't you? 

Wrapped up & packed up, we check out & start rolling around 11am. Yes, we slept in - give us a break. With only 60 miles left to Pittsburgh the trip was quickly coming to a close and I was already sad to see it end. I consciously commit all of the unique aspects of the trail to memory over the remaining miles and take hundreds of mental (and digital) snapshots.

Taking off from Connellsville, PA
Heart 4 Comment 0

Sights Along the Victory Lap

The Connellsville Coke Ovens (GAP MM93.5) are an interesting part of the town's history and a neat way to start the day. Learn about them at Connellsville Coke Ovens & check them out if you pass by.

Connellsville Coke Ovens (GAP MM93.5)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bridges

I enjoyed seeing all the various bridges as we made our way through the last 60 miles of the GAP, and embraced the unmistakably metropolitan sights and sounds when we began to eventually cross them as we approached the city lines. There were lots of huge train and commuter bridges that crossed rivers along the ride, but as we got closer to the city there were plenty more varieties, including those built for pedestrian-traffic only, crossing over train tracks and industrial yards. 

Allison cruising along the GAP
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike and bridge on the GAP
Heart 2 Comment 0

Waterfalls

I was quite happy to see several tiny waterfalls along the GAP, but I was especially excited to spot the Red Waterfall, which caught me by surprise. There were of course many popular sights, special views and stopping points along the trail which I was already aware of and expecting to see along the trail, but there's something very special about the element of surprise and stumbling upon an exciting visual you had no idea was coming. I liken it to watching a great movie that you hadn't watched the trailer for in advance. It also got me self-reflecting and thinking to myself about how the rain I'd attempted to embrace over the last 1.5 days helped lead to the very same (little)waterfalls I was so delighted to see today. Interesting how things can work out when we keep an open mind.

Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltThat orange waterfall is acid runoff from coal mining, and is completely void of wildlife. It is often photographed and posted by cycle tourists.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Goats...

It was quite a surprise to stumble upon these guys. Here's Chip the goat munching on some invasive weeds while goatscaping with his buddies (including Donkey). They were awesome to see and this is a legit service. Look it up: Allegheny Goat Scape

Heart 3 Comment 0

City riding

A key factor on the final stretch of today's ride - the last 20 miles or so of the GAP - is that it is much more industrially populated and busy as you are essentially city riding once you hit McKeesport, PA (GAP MM132.5). You begin riding much closer to traffic, often in painted bike lanes or simply sharing the roads with cars. Though not as particularly scenic, the city atmosphere was still a welcome change of pace and it assured us both that we were nearing the finish line.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Allison hits some city tarmac in McKeesport, PA
Heart 0 Comment 0

I found that navigating the streets of McKeesport to stay on the GAP Trail required some extra attention, but as long as you take your time and keep your eyes out there's sufficient trail markings and signs to keep you on track. It can be a bit confusing once you begin cutting through busy roads and behind buildings since it's such a shift from the previous 300 miles of riding, but that's what lets you know Pittsburgh is ahead!  

I personally found the last 3 - 4 miles the trickiest of all. Since Allison was exhausted and very likely moments away from one of the worst bonks we've ever seen, each and every turn was critical because doubling-back would be a nightmare. Maybe it was the sheer amount of people going in each and every direction at the intersection of Hot Metal Bridge, but that was the first point I actully thought I may've taken a wrong turn. Allison followed and a blindly continued in hopes we were headed in the right direction. A few minutes later I spot MM147 and take a sigh of relief. We're almost there.

GAP Trail (MM 147)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another 3 miles and several busy intersections later, we roll into Point State Park and take our celebratory finish line photo at the fountain. Allison's already told me that she conveniently booked a hotel right next to the park, but I underestimate just how close it really is and see it right in front of me as I turn around. We've officially made it & the trip is a success. 

Finish line at Point State Park. Pittsburgh, PA
Heart 5 Comment 0

We turn around and ride a few hundred feet to the Wyndham hotel, check into our room on the 17th floor and prepare for 1 night & a full day of relaxation ahead. The view of the finish line from our window is icing on the cake and a perfect way to celebrate the epic adventure that is our first bike-tour from DC to Pittsburgh. 10/10 would recommend

Our hotel room view of the finish line at Point State Park
Heart 6 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 302 miles (486 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierThis is a trip we've wanted to do for quite a while. Thanks for sharing your experience on it. Sounds like the mountain bikes were a good idea - I wonder whether our tandem could handle it?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago