Proposed Route - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

Proposed Route

I used a couple of favourite sources to create this route, including Scott Anderson's journals on this site and a Michelin Map--the kind with the scenic routes highlighted in green.  It's a loop starting and ending in Malaga, the airport with the most flight options from Victoria, BC.

November in Andalucía
Heart 5 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe guess this at 1200 km or less. Very doable!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

I developed it thinking to ride the circuit clockwise, so we'd see what might be the best parts first in case we needed to come home sooner than planned.  But then I looked at 150 km riding along the coast and thought first, that it's always nicer to ride on the side of the road closest to the water, and second, which way is the prevailing wind?

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Steve Miller/GrampiesSpain popped into our minds too this week. Except we are talking about January. We will likely fly in to Malaga as well. (Our own plan is longer - Malaga to Barcelona to Santiago (maybe), but over half of your route could be ours as well.)

Spain seems a better choice than Mexico because of its greater vaccination success. We will avidly follow your progress!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSpain looks better Covid-wise, and Spain looks better awesomeness wise. I hope you go!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m so excited about following along. I see so many of our favorite rides on this map. It should be amazing in November.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesCovid safety was a factor in our decision as well. Andalucia appears to have similar rates and restrictions to BC but with less rain. From Barcelona, have you considered the Périgord? We greatly enjoyed that area in 2019.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brent IrvineI just commented on your forum before realizing you had chosen El Andalus. Your route looks awesome. I look forward to reading about the tour. Though I have been to the region, I have not yet cycled in it.

I am also interested to hear about your experience as you go in terms of the pandemic. I am planning a tour in Portugal and possibly a touch of Spain in the spring of 2022, so it will be interesting to hear how things are affected - restaurants, lodging, airports and wherever else. Yes, I am vaxxed, but I don't know how things are 'out there'.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetWe are interested too! One point that intrigues me is that, to return to Canada, as fully-vaccinated citizens resident in Canada (vaccinated in Canada with Canada-approved Pfizer vaccine and with BC official proof of vaccination), we must still have a quarantine plan in order to qualify as fully-vaccinated travellers. Yes, that's direct from travel.gc.ca. We are confused!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brent IrvineTo Jacquie GaudetI *think* the quarantine plan is in case you test positive (symptomatic or assymptomatic) then you must quarantine in a manner suitable to the authorities - I believe that in addition to a covid test prior to boarding the plane home we also get tested when we arrive back to Canada. I take this to mean we go home and stay put for 10 or 15 days, have others buy our groceries, and either keep away from others in our household or have them live temporarily elsewhere. I am not sure if we can emerge after the quarantine without a test or if we must be tested, but I think the former. For those unvaccinated, the same test prior to and post flying PLUS I think they must quarantine for 10 days whether they test positive or not.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Brent IrvineI don't think that's it, because the website says
"If you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller you are:
- Required to show a pre-entry molecular test
- Required to use ArriveCAN
- Exempt from quarantine
- Exempt from Day-8 testing"
And to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, one of the requirements is to have a quarantine plan "in case you don't qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller." As I said, I'm confused.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brent IrvineThe wording is confusing, but they are saying you must have a quarantine plan in case the other requirements are not met, likely to prevent logistical nightmares if people arrive and don't have the vaccine or fail the random testing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetThat’s what I *think* they mean but this is a case where communication should be crystal clear, with no apparent contradictions.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesJacquie, we will be reading carefully to find your actual experience with leaving Canada, entering Spain, masks and vax passports within Spain, and returning to Canada. And oh, if you can find a third shot over there, bring one for us!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick O'HaraJust noticed your new journal, Jacquie. Looks like the perfect way to spend November. Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraIt will be great to have you following along!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago