Getting Ready - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

October 23, 2021

Getting Ready

Less than a week to go!

Getting ready is a bit different this time.  Back when we packed to spend a  month or 3 in BC, we had no idea we'd be doing a bike trip in Europe.  We were planning on doing some cycling, of course, which is why we chose to pass the time in the south Okanagan and Victoria, but it didn't seem possible back in August that we'd leave the province.  The border to the south was closed, Alberta was having a nasty fourth wave of Covid, and somehow driving up to Yukon was never on the radar.  Luckily, though, we had thought we might do a short local tour so we had panniers with us, and we'd put our bike cases near the front of one of the storage lockers so we could collect them on our way through Vancouver.  We also collected the bike rack to free up some space in the car.

Somehow, though, in the business of packing and moving our of our townhouse, my Abus Bordo lock was mislaid.  So far we'd gotten by without but I needed to get a new one for the trip.  We like these locks because they are reasonably secure, not ridiculously heavy, compact to carry, and can be connected together to make one extra-long lock to secure two bikes together to something solid.  Even in a hotel, we never leave our bikes unlocked.  (We've never had our bikes in our room, with the exception of the AirBnB in Penticton.  Maybe because we usually camp on local tours.)

Following inspection of our bikes (and our preference to avoid having to find bike shops in foreign countries), we determined that both needed new chains and brake pads.  We already had replacement brake pads and luckily a nearby shop had 11-speed chains as both those items can be very hard to find these days.  My bike could use new brake rotors too, but since centrelock rotors are expensive (assuming you can find them) and can be damaged in transit, I decided to postpone that until after the trip.  And while we were at it, we decided to mount new tires too.  Whew!  Finally finished all that today.

I want to add that I'm impressed with the bike shops in Victoria.  There are 3 within an easy walk of where we are staying (including the parts-and-service-only place and not including the ebike shop), at least 5 more not much further away, without even including MEC.  I visited all of them in my search for various bits and pieces and would happily do business with any.  Compared to where we used to live in Burnaby, really there's no comparison at all.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Brent IrvineQuestion - which tires did you choose? I am always tech nerdy wondering about these things!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyle McLeodLightbulb 💡 moment re: Abus locks!
Kirsten has the Bordo version but I’ve got one of their U-locks and often carry a cable for those ‘long and awkward ‘ situations. I think another Bordo is in the cards. Thanks for the insight.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetAnd if you didn't already have one, you could buy a two-pack so one key would work on both. I'm not sure, but if hers is one of the new-key style, with a square rather than a pointy end, you can get a new lock that works with the same key.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Brent IrvineHi Brent

We are both running tubeless tires. Mine are Panaracer Gravelking 27.5 x 1.5 and Al has Gravelking SK 700 x 32. In both cases we replaced our tires with the same as we’d had.

The Gravelkings were suggested by my bike builder as suitable for touring mostly on pavement with some gravel and that’s true. I have Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26 x 1.6 on my other bike, not tubeless do higher pressure and not as comfortable.

Al would prefer wider tires but can’t fit them until he replaced the gruppo (long story). He really likes them though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago