Palma del Rio - Andalucia, Take One - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2004

Palma del Rio

Probably the least interesting and least memorable day of the tour, so let’s not spend much time in it.  We left Seville biking up the Guadalquivir  River, bound for Cordoba.  Too long for a one day ride for us, so we broke it at Palma del Rio, a town we picked because it was at roughly the midpoint and also because it was one of the few places I could find lodging bookable over the internet back then - a very attractive guesthouse in a former convent.  The convent, and all the snails clustered on the posts and stalks beside the road - that’s about it for strong memories of the day.  Also that it took us a long time to finally work our way out of the sprawling suburbs of Seville and it’s smog.  I don’t think we really started enjoying the ride until about the midpoint.  Enough said.

Finally beyond the outskirts of Seville, we’re back in the cotton fields again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking past the citrus groves and across the broad Guadalquivir basin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Probably doesn’t speak well for a day if one of your clearest memories is of the snails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hospederia Convento Santa Clara was a lovely, quiet place to stay. I’m sure that if we ever pass this way again we’d stay at the same place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hospederia Convento Santa Clara
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 54 miles, 1,200’; for the tour: 294 miles, 22,300’

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 294 miles (473 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0