Westenholz to Hardehausen - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2012

Westenholz to Hardehausen

We woke up to the sound of pouring rain. We took our time getting ready and by the time we left, the rain had turned to a drizzle and when we reached Paderborn it had stopped completely. The day started with a long, gradual grade up, the kind you don't see but just wonder why pedalling has become so hard.

Riding on small lanes between the fields and puddles
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached Paderborn a little before noon and had a meal at a small Turkish place. We had more than we would usually eat at noon but we were glad we did. We didn't realize it at the time, but we had some challenging kilometers ahead and no more places to stop for food.

In fact there wasn't much on our path at all besides scenery. Fortunately, we had looked at our planned route before leaving. We saw that Paderborn was too close and Kassel too far for the day's ride and there seemed to be little in between. A little planning was called for. Accessing Internet with his smart phone, Janos found a small hotel and we had that nice, secure feeling knowing that a bed would be waiting for us at the end of the day.

Paderborn's town hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paderborn's cathedral with an imho ugly modern structure, a museum, blocking the view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paderborner Dom
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the entrance of the cathedral looking out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Paderborn and climbed. I know, we have e-support and it shouldn't be a big deal the way it is for other people. But a climb is work, even with e-bikes, just not as much work as without. But it was also exhilarating to get to the top and look over the countryside. After the first hill, we had a beautiful swoop down, and then came the next climb, much longer and higher.

Here we've topped the first climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I missed these lovely descents in the flat countryside of the Netherlands.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The weather remained temperamental, it never settled in to plain sunshine and clear skies. But again, our luck held and we didn't ever get soaked.

Moody sky
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel was simple, but in a lovely setting at the end of a nice descent.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 565 km (351 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0