Kassel to Rotenburg/Fulda - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2012

Kassel to Rotenburg/Fulda

This was the beginning of the second half of our trip. Kassel happened to be exactly midway. In Kassel we still hadn't decided where we were heading next. We considered continuing east, that was the original plan, and we considered heading south to Munich from Kassel, a route we cycled last year in the opposite direction (my journal). It wouldn't be new but we knew it would be nice.

Munich won. So far the trip had been fantastic - in spite of grey skies and frequent rain - and we had seen and experienced a lot. I didn't feel I was up to taking in a lot more new impressions, Janos agreed, so we set our sights on home. This route wouldn't be as challenging as going on to Erfurt, Weimar and Leipzig. We would have better roads and paths and it would be more predictable. We could live with that. We saved the excitement of something new for another trip when we started out fresh.

I had a bad night, I don't know why, and got only a few hours sleep. Not a good start into the grey and chilly day, the rain didn't come until noon. First we cycled down the long hill from Monika and Gustl's home to the center of Kassel to pick up the bike path that follows the Fulda.

We say good bye to our dear friends and kind hosts, Monika and Gustl.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're back on the Fulda Bike Path.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was fun recognizing the places we had cycled past last year. The 2011 tour was in early spring and we were just at the beginning of our trip heading north. This time around it was sometimes a déjà vue feeling, but often I was surprised how differently you can experience the same roads.

We passed under this bridge before.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Melsungen again
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a pretty path, even if the sun isn't shining.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Asphalt and no cars, what more can a cyclist desire?
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the afternoon we telephoned ahead and reserved a private room in Rotenburg an der Fulda - not to be confused with the more well known Rothenburg an der Tauber. It's a pretty town with a historic atmosphere. We didn't really get a good look at it on our previous trip. However, since it was raining we cycled straight through town to our room and neglected Rotenburg. Tomorrow we thought.

Our room was excellent, large and immaculate, the price the most moderate on our trip so far. For dinner we mounted our bikes once more and rode in the light rain to the closest restaurant, Italian. This was probably the best meal we had on our whole trip, so glad I didn't just order pizza. Not only the food but the atmosphere and service were first class. The prices were normal but it all had a touch of luxury. This had been a long day and the lovely meal and comfortable room were much appreciated.

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 692 km (430 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0