Karlstadt to Uffenheim - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2012

Karlstadt to Uffenheim

We learned our lesson yesterday. First thing in the morning, we set our goal for the day and reserved a room in a pleasant hotel in Uffenheim. Uffenheim isn't on a popular bike path, there was probably no need to worry about finding a reasonably priced place to sleep, but neverthelss we were happy that we wouldn't have to look for a room at the end of what turned out to be a long and hot day.

We weren't too pleased with our hotel in Karlstadt but the facade was nice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our route followed the Main Bike Path for another 25 km to Würzburg where we stopped for a bite in a beer garden and had a nice view of the city across the Main. We didn't cross the bridge but rode on.

Castles on the hills, barges on the river
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peaceful or monotonous?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Freshly mowed fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flourishing garden with church steeple of Himmelstadt in the background
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat colorful flower and bee picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
View of Würzburg across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was exceedingly hot. It was hot in Winterhausen, too, and we were happy to find a cafe with tables in the shade. In the same cafe was a group of four elderly (our age) ladies on a day bicycle tour. I admit to a few condescending thoughts about this group of senior citizens, probably pedalling a few kilometers along on this flat path for a cup of coffee and a piece of cake and then home again.

Winterhausen
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then crossed the Main to the other side and continued on to Marktbreit. That was a hot ride on a road shared with cars. We should have stayed on the other side of the river but realized that too late. In Marktbreit I saw the ladies from the cafe and thought, aha, see, they had a faster and better path. How else could they have beat us?

At Marktbreit where the river curves north, we left the Main Valley and headed south. Leaving a river valley means climbing and it was quite a climb. We were here last year but riding down went so fast we didn't really register the length or the grade. We sure did riding up. And when we got to the town of Herrnberchtheim at the top I again saw the four ladies from the cafe! Three of them had e-bikes, but so did we. In my thoughts I begged their pardon for my arrogance. There are some pretty fit ladies out there in their floppy sandals and bermuda shorts - no bicycle sandals, no padded bicycle shorts or lycra jerseys. Yes, they were just on an afternoon coffee-n-cake outing.

The last ten kilometers seemed endless. But we knew the hotel already and had enjoyed our stay there last time. Again we appreciated the friendly staff and were so glad to rest our weary bones after a hot day on the road.

We climb out of the Main River Valley.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat sunflower picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 947 km (588 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0