Hardehausen to Kassel - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2012

Hardehausen to Kassel

Today Janos woke up with a bad migraine. He wasn't interested in the lovely breakfast our hosts had prepared for us and didn't feel up to riding. Our hostess said we should take our time, but she had a doctor's appointment. She wouldn't lock up but would we be so kind as to watch the house while she was gone. We were the only guests. She also told me to make a picnic lunch from the breakfast that we couldn't finish which I did.

Janos rested and dosed for an hour or so and felt better. When we set out, it was no longer raining. The first kilometers to Warburg were a continuation of yesterday's downhill ride. Our hotel was located directly on the outside of a nature preserve and our route took us through a game park with large enclosures for European bison, tarpans and wild boars. Imagine our surprise to see bison and tarpans in the pastures!

The bison were really not close enough to get a picture of.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tarpans
Heart 1 Comment 0

On our way to Warburg we rode through some of the most beautiful landscape of our trip. Rolling hills, dark forests, expanses of open fields - unspoiled, sparsely populated countryside.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We knew we had to cross those hills in the distance to reach Kassel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The little town of Warburg with its towers, old city wall and colorful, carved half-timbered house fronts was also a treat. Here we ate our picnic, the remains of breakfast, and had our Kaffee und Kuchen in a little cafe. Then came the hillier part of the ride and more beautiful vistas. Although today's distance was shorter than in the past days, it felt longer. The hills kept coming.

Warburg
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1

For the last stretch to the outskirts of Kassel, where we would be staying with friends, we made a poor choice of roads and were on a very busy road with fast traffic and no shoulder. For this final hill, I set my e-support on the strongest level, which I barely use, wanting to get it over with as fast as possible. Towards the end, Janos recognized the neighborhoods and streets, having lived in Kassel for many years before we met, and we finally rolled into the driveway, tired but relieved to be there. Gustl met us at the door and gave us a great welcome.

Gustl, Janos's first friend in Germany
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 618 km (384 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0