Bocholt to Münster - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2012

Bocholt to Münster

Let me start this day by telling you it was my birthday. But when we looked out of the hotel, the day didn't look promising for celebrating on the road. It was raining cats and dogs and the temperatures had dropped. It was a tempting thought to stay in our comfortable hotel and take it easy. But then, who said it was going to be better tomorrow? Besides, I didn't think hanging out in a hotel was a very interesting way to celebrate my birthday. I decided even a rainy day was going to be better than the way I spent my birthday last year - in the dentist's chair!

12.07.2012 - July 12, 2012 - and it's raining.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before we hit the road, we pedalled to Bocholt's Town Hall, in the syle of the Dutch Renaissance, and Market Place where a farmer's market was being held. The rain had let up a little and we snapped a few pictures.

Town Hall and flower market, Bocholt
Heart 1 Comment 0
More hydrangeas
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rain keeps the flowers fresh.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The night before I had quickly charted the way for our GPS to take us back to our route to Münster. We exited Bocholt through a lovely park and after a 10km ride on small roads we were back on course.

Leaving Bocholt through a leafy park
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small pond in the park
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we stopped in Weseke for a sandwich in a small bakery-cafe, it was still raining but by the time we came out it had stopped and the sun was drying the roads.

Farmer with an onion, Sippel-Jans, Weseke's trademark
Heart 1 Comment 0

We didn't expect it to stay dry for the rest of the day, but it did. We continued on idyllic small roads between fields connecting the occasional villages on our route, and enjoyed strong tailwinds the whole way. That was my birthday present and I couldn't have wished for more.

Farms
Heart 1 Comment 0
View to the church steeple in Velen
Heart 1 Comment 0
A small palace in Velen, now a hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you look closely, you'll see the wind in the horses' tails and the grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More quiet roads, and see the wind blowing the leaves of the corn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had perfect conditions for a long day and our goal was now Münster. With or without e-support and tailwinds, we were tired after 91km. The youth hostel was on our way into the city and they had a double room for us. We didn't feel like scouting around for a hotel although the youth hostel was a bit pricey at 70€ considering it was a youth hostel where you have to make your own beds and the furnishings are rather spartan.

We also didn't feel like hunting up a restaurant, so it was the youth hostel dining hall, birthday or not. To add a touch of festiveness to the day, after our meal we bought a bottle of sparkling wine and a can of peanuts and toasted to another year on the road.

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 421 km (261 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0