Trojane - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2010

Trojane

Today was to be short day so we didn't hurry too much in the morning and waited until the fog had lifted to leave. The route out of Celje although apparently very straightforward is actually difficult. Celje is a fairly big industrial city that spreads itself over the plain so the traffic is appalling. We dodged around using the GPS to avoid the road we really needed to take. This made for pleasant riding and as usual showed us unexpected things which are the delight of cycle touring. Ken was particularly happy to meet up with some men with a group of tractors and they bonded straight away - the love of old tractors supercedes all language difficulties.

After about 15km we came to the point where vehicles over 7 tonnes were not permitted on our road and had to take the parallel motorway so the improvement was enormous. The valley gets narrower and narrower until eventually the motorway is either going in tunnels or on huge piers over our road. We just went constantly up but the gradient is perfectly rideable and nothing compared to yesterdays hills. The scenery in this steep valley is remarkable but we had been spoilt by the delights of yesterday. We stopped at Trojane which is on the pass and we are staying in the Hotel Trojane. This place is beautiful and we have a balcony with a stunning view over different valley systems and mountains. There is small scale farming activity going on all around and Ken in particular enjoys this. We certainly enjoy rural Slovenia more than the towns - a wild generalization based on little evidence.

An elderly woman on a steep slope raking grass for hay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grass cut by hand hanging up to dry
Heart 0 Comment 0
$100,000 worth of new John Deer Tractor to cart about $20 worth of hand cut grass for hay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel Trojane
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the view from our balcony
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,519 km (1,564 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0