Tabor - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2010

Tabor

I thought I might be in Pokeno when I woke up this morning the fog was so thick. After or breakfast of stale bread and cheese came the exciting challenge of getting out - we were the only ones staying in the hotel and the owners don't live on sight. Re had a set of keys like a jailor and eventually we made it. The fog didn't last long just until we got high enough out of the river valley. Today certainly was a day of hills and nearly allup. I rarely gat out of the low range in my front gears. I felt very proud of myself because I only had to get off and walk twice and then only for a short period.

The countryside was lovely like alpine meadows with cattle out in the pastures grazing for the day, tiny picturesque settlements ( most without a shop or a café) and it was dotted with trees. The road had a thin line of wheat beside it as though Hanzel and Gretel had been trying to find their way home but there was still quite a lot of wheat yet to be harvested and they were heading today while the weather is fine.

Along the way we met the Slovanian cyclists we had talked to yesterday. On talking to them it sounds as if the route we have choosen through Slovenia is quite feasible - they also said getting accomadation shouldn't be to bad but it is a lot more expensive than here. They are going to Vienna by 'the Green Way' and then home by train

Tabor is a lovely town with a market square. Many of the buildings have the murals , thet I so like painted on them. They are usually white painted on black nut most here are fawn painted on a darker brown. Our pension here is fantastic. It is right in the square and is an 'appartment' so we have a sitting room as well as a bedroom and bathroom - great luxury.

Cattle outgrazing in the fields. They have tHeir inside house behind them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lining the roads are trees ladden with ripe fruit. Our favourites are the plums they are absolutely delicious. There is nothing Ken likes better than 'road kill'fruit
Heart 1 Comment 0
A typical little villagewe went through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church in the main square of Tabor
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,505 km (935 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0