Rogatz - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2010

Rogatz

When we woke up this morning it was raining and the weather forcast was not good. The good news was that the wind had largely dropped. I thought it would probably better to do 92km in rain than into a gale. We bade googbye to our generous hosts Margaret and Gunter, put on our coats (yes we are learning) and set off. for most of time the rain varied between drizzle and light rain and it wasn't at all bad to ride in. The last 10km or so were something different and by the time we reached this place the water racing along in the gutters resembled tributies of the Elbe. After considerable fluffing about we found this hotel and yes it even has wifi but I am having trouble downloading photos - will try again latter.

Riding along it has been interesting to think of the differences between being in the old East Germany and West Germany. To me what seems apparent are the following. Many of the roads are cobbled (very noticable to a cyclist) Things don't look quite as pristine. Coming into a largish town there always seem to be disused decaying factories and often empty houses but once you get to the centre the towns are usually really beautiful and unspoilt by modern developement, as was the gorgeous town of Tangermunde we passed through today. The farms appear enormous which makes us wonder what happened about land ownership after Reunification. If you know please let us know. There are of course some excellent new roads and bridges. I have also found the any one we have had anything to do with in a zimmer, a cafe etc is really eager to go the extra mile to be of service and the effort they have made to make there places comfortable and charming is outstanding. In 4 days in Eastern Germany I have only seen one new house being built.

The main street of Tangermunde just before the rain started
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 755 km (469 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0