Postojna - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2010

Postojna

Today was difficult. Leaving Ljubljana itself was not difficult. At first we rode beside the river through the attractive city centre, people were scuttling around putting cushions on outside chairs, stocking up with all the food the tourists eat and sweeping all ready for another busy day. We had cycle ways to the ring road - about 10km - after that the road we were following ran parallel to the motorway, it was therefore very noisy and was also busy, its saving grace was a good hard shoulder. After about 20km we stopped for coffee, the road left the motorway at that stage but it went up a viscous hill for about 8 or 9km, it was busy with a fair few big trucks and it was still foggy so we could see nothing of the view, luckily the hard shoulder continued. At the top of the hill we went through a couple of ugly little towns then we had a stroke of very good luck, we missed our turning and took the wrong road. By its colour on the map it looked as though it would be busy but it was in fact quiet, the fog had lifted, it was very pretty and there were picnic tables all along the way. We found later the road we had intended to take was still flooded and we would have had to take a massive detour. The sting in the tail was another very steep hill but this time quiet. I had booked a couple of days ago at this hotel as Postojna is a tourist destination famous for its caves, has only 3 hotels with groups taking a lot of the available accommodation.

The warning on the last steep hills was for motorbikes not cyclists - I hope!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As you cycle through Slovenia you can't help but be amazed at the number of shrines and chapels. In rural Slovenia you see one about every 500m. They are all in perfect condition, we have seen new ones being built, they are sometimes in peoples gardens and the usually have little roofs over the cross to protect Jesus fron the rain

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,622 km (1,628 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0