Jesolo - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2010

Jesolo

We are in Jesolo. Jesolo has 147 hotels listed on the internet sites. Ever mindful of economy I booked one on' last minute deals' on the internet last night. I am thankful that I recorded its name. It has somewhat strained marital relationships finding it but here I am on my balcony of the Hotel Travitore writing to you.

Today has been a day of contrasts, from the really terrible (I will never ride a bicycle again) to absolute delight. The first 15km was on a narrow road with no hard shoulder, a drainage ditch meters below down a precipice, a procession of trucks with trailers and the odd person keen to prove he could cover the distance faster than anyone else ever had. When we got to our turn off and stopped for coffee I was pleased we were both still alive. From there the road was straight flat and boring through swampy corn fields. Ken spotted a side road which we thought would take us to where we were going and it was delightful winding its way along a river and inlet then coming to a fishing port with a glorious smell of seafood - I know what I will have for dinner tonight. We then came to real serious beach going Italian territory. The houses and resorts suddenly looked as if they had been painted by Slovenians and there were miles of cycle ways along our route. When these ran out we rode along a canal until we reached Jesolo and this was delightful.

Our hotel is at Jesolo Lido where the other 146 are. The search for it and the horrendous traffic are not worth recording. I think this is a lovely place - it reminds me of Noosa. One difference is that we have a card for the area of the beach we can go to and lie out in the sun on a deck chair (Ken hasn't gone yet!). We are so lucky in New Zealand and Australia with our glorious beaches, the free access we have to them and the lack of people pressure on them

There are beautiful old houses in Portogruaro
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flat,swampy corn fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hard working little fishing port.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Bailey bridge across the inlet
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,890 km (1,795 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0