Hamburg Bremen Dotlingen - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2010

Hamburg Bremen Dotlingen

It was really great to actually start riding. It was raining when we started but although the lady at the hotel said it was likely to last all day thankfully she was wrong. Our first mission was to get to the main train station. Thanks to a google map this was easy. We travelled through leafy suburbs and all of this on cycle tracks.

How to take our bikes on a train had been worrying us but actually it was suprisingly easy. The bike compartment was full of touring bikes. We met a delightful German couple just back from touring in Sweden which they say has some really good riding

Of course when we got off the train we had the problem we always seem to have in biggish towns - we can never seem to find our way out of them. We rode around in circles for a while but this had a silver lining as we came across a bike shop. My bike had had a strange way of jumping a cog as I went along, no matter how I tried to ignore it it seemed to be getting worse. I always think that the men in bike shops are modern day angels and in a trice he fixed it. It was something to do with a link on my new chain not being flexible.

The route from Bremen was completely on dedicated cycle tracks that had fantastic surfaces. The countryside we went through very neat and attractive with pretty intensive agriculture. The only downer was a brisk head wind. Dotlinger when we got here was a charming little village and our hotel covered in ivy. Just one problem, I left the adaptor for the chargers behind in Hamburg so will have to sort that out somehow tomorrow otherwise we will be without our multitude of electronic devices.

Our lovely hotel in Dotlinger
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 66 km (41 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0