Hamburg and Geesthacht - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2010

Hamburg and Geesthacht

For the first 10km or so today we followed the road to Hamburg until the Radweg crossed it and we were at once in more interesting countryside. On both sides of us for many miles there were orchards. The fruit all looked extremely yummy and there were many roadside stalls. Unfortunately for us these were shut - perhaps because it was still fairly early on Sunday morning and we didnt seem to be having any more luck with cafes. About this stage I embarresed myself by falling over the bank with my bike into a drainage ditch. Neither of us were hurt at all but the bike luckier than me as bikes don't mind stinging nettle. I had been unaware that there was such a large Airbus factory near Hamburg - we rode around this to get to the ferry across the Elbe. I love travelling in ferrys like this they always seems rather exotic to me.

Across on the other side we were back in Hamburg 5 days and 400km since leaving it. I was amazed by the huge number of people in the waterfront area we were going through, many of them were tourists being shown the sights. There had been a market on but they were clearing up from it so we were once more deprived of fruit. Getting through the city of course was very slow but once out of it we were once more in highly productive land. This time however the crops were mainly vegetables and flowers rather than fruit. As we got further along wheat was being grown and much to Ken's delight it was being harvested - watching farmers at work being one of his joys along the way.

By the time we got to Geesthacht we thought we had had enough so found this hotel. The beer certainly tasted good and the shower hot and strong.

Distance travelled 95km

I didnt know there were so many lovely thaycched houses in this part of germany
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is no wonder that the containers we see on trains going through Pokeno nearly all have Hamburg Sud on them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the waterways in Centrel Hamburg are picturesque.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Farmers at work
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 436 km (271 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0