Cuxhaven - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2010

Cuxhaven

Last night in Brake worked out really well. The beer was just what we needed and the meal huge lots of pork. One between the two of us would have done but we told ourselves we are doing lots of exercise and ate the lot. A similarly pork rich breakfast. It is suprising that we haven't seen any pigs around there certainly must be lots.

The first twenty km of the ride was along the Weser to near its mouth were we caught the ferry to Bremerhaven. A very efficient operation with vehicles entering one end then driving straight off the other, it reminded me of the vehicular ferry from Downtown Auckland to Birkenhead that we used to take to visit grandma when I was a child. Bremerhaven was much bigger than I expected with a lovely pedestrian shopping area in the centre. We bought some delicious looking cherries. Then came the challenge to find our way to the cycle way. Of course we ended up having the grand tour of Bremerhaven before eventually finding ourselves on the cycleway overlooking the massive harbour, The cranes to unload container ships look like o forest, The route itself runs beside the North Sea usually beside the sea wall rather than on top of it. Seats along the sea wall give you wonderful views out over the North Sea. I was surprised just how busy the cycle way was, there was almost a traffic jam of bikes. Most of the cyclists were clearly day trippers and a common twosome was a slightly rotund elderly man followed by a whiteheaded woman. There were of course many families as it is still holiday time and this is a popular holiday destination as we were to find when we reached Cuxhaven. Only a very few cycle tourists laden down with all their gear as they cycled earnestly along, As we neared Cuxhaven the tide was so far out you could barely see the water's edge but the narrow band of sand was packed with people sunning their bodies and digging in the sand, It certainly made me realise why our beaches in NZ are so popular with visitors.

Arriving in Cuxhaven I approached the first likely looking hotel and asked ' Haben Sei ein Zimmer frei' I received a startled look and was told of course they were full. Perhaps we had a problem- but miracle of miracles I spotted a tourist information place and the lady told me she knew of one zimmer frei and here we are. It is way out in the suburbs, an OK room in a private house but overpriced and we will have a considerable ride to get a meal. Our hostess offered to sell me some water but Ken prefered to get on the bike and go to the supermarket for beer - a good idea.

The final chapter of the boring story of the lost electrical adaptor. We were sitting having coffee in a square in Bremerhaven and I looked across and saw a Saturn. This is similar to a mega Dick Smiths so I whipped across the road they had a suitable adaptor and now we will be able to charge up the world!

Distance travelled today exactly 100km Total distance 245km

The shores of the Weser as we rode towards the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual Ken cant resist tractors!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry across the mouth of the Weser
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the cycleway at last - on our way out of Bremerhaven
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 245 km (152 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0