Bad Leonfelden: Out of the Czech Republic and into Austria - From the North Sea to the Adriatic - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2010

Bad Leonfelden: Out of the Czech Republic and into Austria

We have left the Czech Republic and are now in Austria. The price structure here is completely different so it will probably take a day or two to get used to it and then we will be spending euros with the same gay abandon as Czech crowns.

Cycling in the Czech Republic is great. We haven't actually seen many other cycling tourists but you are very well catered for. The Penzions are always spotless and inexpensive . They provide you with a huge breakfast and there is always a secure place to leave your bike out of the weather. The free maps from the tourist information centres are wonderful and the routes are very clearly sign posted. Most of the routes are on regular roads but these have a very low volumn of traffic and feel completely safe. The surfaces of many of these roads are far from smooth and often a patchwork of mends. . One thing to watch for is if a route has a section on it marked 'difficult surface' if at all possible avoid it. Nearly all the routes we took were fairly hilly but they didn't provide a great problem.

Last night we were having a bit of a problem planning our route out of Cesky Krumlov and eventually decided we would take the main road towards Linz. What a good decision that was. The road had little traffic and followed the Moldau. There are camping sites all along it and yes people were camping. Most of them were I think on canoeing or rafting trips floating down the river from one camp site to the next - the all looked as if they were having a great time as they went by. When we left the Moldau it was a steady long climb to the border and beyond. We were now in neat well manicured Austria. Again an early finish this time at Bad Leonfelden to go on would have meant finding somewhere to stay in Linz and that is too big a city for us. The place we are staying is a fitness and wellness centre, we are not gong take advantage of the stationary bikes in the gym.

Ken is worried this kitten may not find its home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rafters on the Moldau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus at
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 1,661 km (1,031 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0