Day 18: Rest Day - Alaska Loop 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2015

Day 18: Rest Day

Today is a rest day in Talkeetna. I stayed in bed until 9 but didn't sleep well because the restaurant below was very noisy starting at 7 AM. A large crowd arrived by bus and will leave later in the morning on the train.

I had a late breakfast burrito at the Roadhouse, and a piece of quiche from the bakery for lunch.

I stayed in town all day. The bike stayed locked in the barn in back. I leisurely explored the historic district and the trails around town. Probably never went more than half a mile from the Roadhouse.

The only boarded up log cabin on the main street. Note the dado joints.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The museum building was built in 1936, the first Territory of Alaska school in Talkeetna.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Talkeetna Historical Society museum is a block off main street in a park. The museum also has two impressive pioneer cabins.

Ole Dahl cabin, built in 1916.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Ole Dahl cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Freighters David Lawrence and Harry Robb built this cabin in the 1920's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking through glass inside the David Lawrence - Harry Robb cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Modern cabin rentals. The historic district must have strict appearance standards for new buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This "cabin in the woods" is in the middle of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three German Batchelors cabin, built in 1934 with very big logs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I walked a trail leading north of town and discovered the railroad bridge that I didn't find yesterday. The bridge crosses the Talkeetna river, a large tributary of the Susitna river. A narrow pathway on one side of the bridge is shared by pedestrians and ATV's. The village of Chase is 5 miles across the river, accessible only by this trail, by boat, or float plane.

Alaska Railroad crossing the Talkeetna river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail is barely wide enough for a narrow ATV. The village of Chase is only accessible by ATV.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the bridge I had a good view of the boat landing area for Mahay's Jet Boat tours. I planned to do a 3 hour tour today but the weather forecast called for afternoon thunderstorms. I didn't do the tour, but the afternoon weather actually turned out to be very nice. I should have done the boat tour.

View of Mahay's jet boat landing from the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge and Talkeetna river when the sun came out for a minute.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I took a short afternoon nap and spent some time just sitting in my room watching the tourists walk by below. Still interesting to see how they mostly come and go in waves. Speaking English, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese.

I wasn't bored, though. Walking the forested trails was very interesting. Nice to see the plants up close. Most of the plants are unfamiliar to me. One signature characteristic of sub-arctic plants is extremely large leaves.

Some plants in Alaska have extremely large leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other plants have almost no leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These ferns are 5 feet tall.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner was at the Pizza/Brewery Company across the street from the roadhouse. Reindeer sausage pizza and a couple of Alaskan Icy Bay IPA's (top quality beer from Alaskan brewing company in Juneau). The pizza place seems to be the most popular watering hole for the younger crowd.

Pizza restaurant and brewery across the street from my roadhouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the pizza company. I had a reindeer sausage pizza.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather was mostly sunny from 3 to 7 PM. The clouds got high enough to faintly see a few mountains, but not high enough to see the really big mountains.

A partial view of the Alaska range looking across the Susitna river. Still no Denali. Yesterday I saw no mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A light rain started at 7 PM and lasted for a couple hours. Then at 9 PM the sun came out again.

Talkeetna rainbow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rare sunshine on a flower box. The small purple flowers on the left are Forget Me Not, the state flower of Alaska.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path to the river was dry yesterday, but the big storm last night caused one swale to be full of water today. So today it's necessary to boulder-hop part of the trail from town to the river. The weather was delightful from 9-10 PM. Everybody was out enjoying the final golden rays of sun.

Enjoying the final rays of sun on the river shore.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Distance: 0 miles on the bike
Walked about 5 miles.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0