To Chipoka and Salima - Already yet so soon....30 years ago, Oh my! - CycleBlaze

April 25, 1994 to April 30, 1994

To Chipoka and Salima

Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet a Belgium couple who have been cycling around the world for 5 years, this was their last stretch to home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are getting ready to leave Salima when Patrick has projectile vomiting...and not feeling well. Suspect Malaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rachel spends the morning trying to find a clinic for Patrick to be tested for malaria. We have the Fansidar, the treatment at the time for malaria, but don't want to take unless necessary.

Finally, Rachel goes to the police station. She found out the hospital is open but out of the town and there's no other local transportation available.

"Yes, yes, we will help, have a seat," the policeman says. Rachel waits.

....and waits.....and waits, finally asking again, "Yes, we will help," he says again.

After all this is Africa. Patience is needed. A truck pulls up, I'm taken back to the hotel to get Patrick. The policeman and the hotel owner one on each side of Patrick helps him into the truck, and into the hospital. The policeman knocks on the door of a doctor who is with another patient and insists he help the "muzungu". Rachel watches and checks the needle that will be used to get a blood sample. Positive for Malaria. We get free medicine at the pharmacy and taken back to the hotel. 

There would be a knock on the door. A couple of hotel workers would come in, sit down and stare for awhile, then get up and leave saying we are praying for you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stay in Salima 4 more days for Patrick to recover enough to be able to cycle.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0