We Need Panniers: But Which Ones? - A Dutch of Class (Another Three Nations Tour (France - Belgium - Netherlands)) - CycleBlaze

December 31, 2012

We Need Panniers: But Which Ones?

Penelope and I are now in the market for some new panniers. The other day, we were riding together into Bexleyheath, when Penelope (who was in front of me) stopped at a red light. Seconds before she applied her brakes, my attention was focused elsewhere, and so when I realised she was stopped, the Surly was pushed into the most majestic stoppie you could hope to see. No shit, it was a sight to behold. The LHT must have been vertical at one point, balanced on her front wheel, and at the same time, I stepped nimbly off of her, and onto the carriageway.That's all very well and good, but when her back wheel came down, the rear clasp of the pannier was snapped off. The following photo (which came from my ill-fated trip down to London in July of this year, and which shows one of the broken spokes which was, along with a foobarred bottom bracket, one of the reasons for aborting that trip) shows you the clasp I mean...

You can see the clasp which ordinarly holds the pannier on to the rear rack...
Heart 0 Comment 0

So the equipment list now definitely has panniers on it for both of us. It currently looks like... Penelope

  • Surly LHT
  • Four panniers
  • Sleeping bag
  • Handlebar bag
  • Thermarest 'Neo-Air'
  • Garmin Edge 800 GPS

John

  • Surly LHT
  • Sleeping bag
  • Thermarest 'Neo-Air'

All in, I reckon we're looking at £3,000 (US$4,530 / 3,475 ) for everything.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0