Day 2: Grand Fort Philippe to De Panne - A Dutch of Class (Another Three Nations Tour (France - Belgium - Netherlands)) - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2013

Day 2: Grand Fort Philippe to De Panne

Up at the crack of dawn this morning. Actually, that's another lie. We got up at 07:45, and showered. We didn't have coffee, because someone.. oh, be quiet, Penelope!

Day 2: Grand-fort-Philippe - de Panne. The GPS was switched off from Uxem, and this explains the stupid straight line.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we approached Dunkirk, we were having doubts as to the way to cross the town - just as TC and I had done on Consolidation - The Three Nations Tour (France - Belgium - Netherlands). We stopped a bloke in his fifties who was cycling past, and almost without prompting, he said, 'Suivez-moi'. There then followed three miles behind him, twisting and turning around some very quiet residential streets. We avoided the town entirely, saw some nice little parks, and eventually, our guide left us at the entrance of the D2. We shook his hand, but didn't get a name.

No idea where this was, and I'd have liked to get a shot from the front, but time was pressing on...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is pretty bleak, but the weather was stunning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was just before we bumped into our guide...
Heart 0 Comment 0
So was this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love cycling in Europe!
Heart 0 Comment 0

A friend of mine had ridden from Paris on her motorbike, and we were heading towards Uxem to meet her for lunch, when we heard insistent beeping of a horn behind us. 'Bloody motorcyclists...' I cursed, before realising that it was our friend.

Isabelle and Penelope and the bikes...
Heart 0 Comment 0

We settled into the Ferme-Auberge, and mainlined some more cheese. Dear God, I love the stuff! This time, it was a buffet ('all you can eat'), and a beer-drenched Welsh rarebit, without the ham. Yummy yum. I really enjoyed this really strong beer that they served. There were undertones of raspberry, oak tree, pencil boxes...

Yummy!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Isabelle headed off on her big motorbike to explore the region, and we headed to the second campsite - Greenpark. A couple of hours later later, Penelope and I stormed across the border into Belgium! The first time that the Lovely One has crossed a border under her own steam. I am so proud of her!

Penelope invades Belgium!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Less impressed with this one - we were placed into a small clearing just past reception, which felt a bit like an afterthought. It was more a carpark for late arrivals. Isabelle got there at around six, and I got to work cooking the McIntyre Invention of pasta, red wine and tomato sauce. As you can tell, I am a culinary genius.

My skills in the kitchen know no bounds...
Heart 0 Comment 0

Isabelle and I got a bit drunk. No, wait .. I got drunk and Isabelle and Penelope laughed at me. Bed was early tonight: around ten PM, and we arranged to meet Isabelle for lunch the next day, as she was staying in the region.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 47 miles (76 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0