Urban Riding (Again) - Excellent Explorations on the Edge of the World - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2021

Urban Riding (Again)

Our time in Adelaide is running out:  the dog's owner returns on Sunday and we will be moving on.  Pesky things like work persist in getting in the way of important exploring business.

We met family for lunch at Glenelg, on a rare Adelaide day when the sun shone boldly on the bright blue sea and any clouds that showed up were merely fluffy, white, and decorative. 

After lunch I waved Roger off to the drive home, and took to my bicycle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Now it would have made sense to pedal north with the bright blue sea on my left and the gentle hand of the southerly on my shoulder, so did I do that?  Nope.

I headed inland instead, past the slums where the other half eke out a living.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the canal estates,
Heart 1 Comment 0
and past the Adelaide airport which was very busy with planes coming and going. The border opened two days ago so Adelaideans are busy either importing Covid or going to places where they can catch it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The best thing about Adelaide, apart from being as flat as a pancake, is that there is a bikeway beside every railway line, most major roads, and behind the airport. That's in addition to the shady, quiet minor roads and streets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, and bikeways beside the creek, too.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I was having way too much fun to allow Roger to sit at home being adored by the dog, so we arranged to meet at Semaphore for a little bit of seaside riding.  This meant a slight re-calibration of my route plan, and I ended up taking a long and enjoyable meander through the suburbs back toward the sea.

My kind of riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Past West Lakes, at the bottom of Port River,
Heart 1 Comment 0
where the private schools were practicing their rowing skills. I spent a while slaloming between upper-crust schoolchildren jogging in packs and random rowing coaches riding bicycles, bellowing into loudhailers and generally not looking where they were going.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Semaphore was deserted apart from a lone man preaching with gusto to a large crowd of seagulls waiting patiently for food which I doubt would be forthcoming.  We allowed the wind to escort us north to the Outer Harbour, and caught the train home.  Well, past home actually because I wanted to ride an extra 2.6km so that my total would be 40km for the day.

Please ignore the straight bit: I tried pausing RWGPS while I was on the train, then re-starting. This did not work in the way I imagined it would.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingNo, that never works.
You have to close the ride and start again at the end of your train ride.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Titanium PenguinYes, I realised that after the event :-0. Although I also realised that I can edit a ride and 'join' it to another ride. I'm not sure if that would work to show both legs on the one map: I have yet to try it out.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 40 km (25 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0