Keys View - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

February 26, 2021

Keys View

In other news

The big news here comes from back in Minnesota, where our son is recovering from his Thursday morning surgery to replace his defective aortic valve.  Everything went well and as expected, which is of course wonderful news.  His girlfriend drove him in for surgery early in the morning, and then went back to care for his two daughters while he’s in hospital.  She called to update us - the first time we’ve spoken with her - and she certainly sounds like a keeper, and very Minnesotan.  We’ll look forward to seeing her once everyone is vaccinated and can finally visit in person again.

One of the attending surgeons called us soon after the operation was complete, and told us that all had gone well and there were no complications.  Shawn himself called yesterday morning, and sounded tired, croaky but otherwise well.  He’d already been up and walking around, and was looking forward to breakfast.

In less personal but more dramatic news, Team Anderson is happy to report that we have extended our lucky streak of not being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  We’ve taken two month-long tours of Sicily, and loved our time there.  It’s just as well that we’re not there this week though, with Mount Etna blowing its top in a big way:

Note to Greg: this was a downloaded photo, not one we took ourselves of course. You don’t have to Like it.
Heart 4 Comment 7
Andrea BrownI like this photo.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauYes, I admit I tricked you,
Did you have to trick me too?
But heck yeah,
Mt. Et-nya,
I LIKE it, yes I do!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetImpressive! Sicily was our hoped-for plan for 2021 (shorter and earlier in the year to give time to other important events) but maybe 2023? I expect the eruption will be over by then.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetWell before 2023, I’d say? Etna erupts all the time, but this time was pretty exceptional. I wish we’d been there to see it from a safe distance, really.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonYou’ll love Sicily volcano or not! Have you been there before?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI've never been to Sicily; I visited Italy in 1981 on my backpack-and-railpass trip after graduating from university--but that trip also included bits of Holland, France, Greece, Switzerland, and Germany.

This year travel is still not advised for Canadians and why go when there will be restrictions and closures at your destination? Furthermore, we will be selling this townhouse and moving, attending our son's wedding, etc. We are hoping to do a bit of exploring BC, things we missed in 23 previous years staying mostly in-province.

Spring 2022 should be the resurrection of Fibonacci Scribble, hopefully an extended version. If we make a second trip in the fall, there are so many places on my long list that returning to Italy in the same year is unlikely. So Spring 2023...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetOh, of course. 2022 is just next year, not two years out! I keep forgetting we’ve turned a new leaf.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today’s ride

OK, back to the bikes.  Joshua Tree is a large park, but there are few cycling choices if you’re sticking to pavement.  For that matter, there aren’t that many off-road options either - happily, it’s mostly an unspoiled roadless area.

Today we’re riding through the most popular part of the park - an east-west out and back along Park Avenue and then taking the spur out to Keys View, the dramatic viewpoint that overlooks the Imperial Valley and the San Jacinto Mountains. 

Our ride starts at the Arch Rock parking lot, at an elevation of nearly 4,000’.  We’re lucky with the weather today - winds are mild, and even this high up it’s quite comfortable.  Traffic is surprisingly light as we bike west, gradually climbing toward the popular rock-scrambling area around Jumbo Rocks and the highest point of the ride until at the end when we reach Keys View.

North on Pinto Basin Road. We face a modest two mile climb before reaching the junction with Park Avenue and turn westward.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On Park Avenue now, on the four mile, 900’ climb to its summit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The rocky expanse around the summit is one of the most popular areas of the park. This is the area where we took yesterday’s hike, on one of the numerous trails that pass beneath these fascinating formations.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along Park Avenue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Along Park Avenue. There are many of these isolated rock piles scattered around, looking like rough pyramids in the desert.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the crown of the road we continue west for about eight miles, gently rolling along at about 4,500’.  As we move west the park’s famous Joshua trees become more predominant, eventually developing into a virtual forest.  Such a strange, fantastic plant!

From the crown of the road you can briefly see San Gorgonio Mountain through a gap in the surrounding ridges.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
As we continue west, the Joshua trees become steadily more prolific. They have such varied growth patterns - compare the large one on the right with the tall, utility pole-like one farther off on the left. Also, look at how brittle they are, as you can see by the pile of dropped branches below the one on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Joshua tree isn’t a tree at all - it’s a treelike species of yucca, and is also known as a yucca tree or palm tree yucca. Its bare, bleached skeletons certainly look treelike though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A high stepping drum major?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Joshua tree can grow quite large. We passed others significantly larger than this, but I didn’t want to wheel or carry the bike across the sands to stand next to it. Or to stand under it, waiting for one of its brittle branches to drop and do me in.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We leave Park Avenue when we reach the turnoff for the four mile dead end road to Keys View.  From here it’s a gradual climb, stiffening a bit at the end as we climb to 5,100’, the high point for the day.  The Joshua tree forest continues to thicken as we climb, and then starts giving way to junipers at the end.  

Along Keys View Road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cap Rock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along Keys View Road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The view from Keys View is fantastic, with a good look north to San Gregorio, and south to the Salton Sea far off in the haze.  It’s quite different today from the only other time we’ve been here, when we were lucky enough to see snow.

There are quite a few folks up here today, but no other bikes of course.  We mask up, push our bikes up the walking path to the summit, and find a secure spot to sit on the rocks, eat our lunch and look down at the floor of the Imperial Valley far below. 

Looking across the Imperial Valley to the San Jacinto Mountains. According to the expert witness standing next to me, that thin traverse ridge on the valley floor follows the line of the San Andreas fault.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking south, the Salton Sea is faintly visible through the haze.
Heart 2 Comment 0
From Keys View we get a better look north to San Gorgonio Mountain, the highest peak in Southern California.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Nearer at hand, I get just a brief glimpse of the first lizard of the year.  He’s too far off and moving too fast for any kind of a shot, but Bill will want to see it anyway so here it is:

First lizard of the year - or a part of one, at least. Not much of a shot, but still - the first.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill Shaneyfelt:-)

Looks like a male side blotched lizard. You can see them even in the dead of winter on warm days. One of the most common lizards, and a staple in the diet of roadrunners.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19562870
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

As we eat, a man approaches us and asks if he can move my bike.   I’d leaned it against a cairn-capped rock, and then thoughtlessly left it there spoiling someone else’s photo opportunity.  I move the bike myself of course, and we chat a bit about folders.  He tells me a funny story of a woman who brought hers on board a flight to Atlanta earlier this year, successfully insisting that it met the airline’s technical definition of a wheelchair.  He thought that was a bit presumptuous, and I agree.

Image not found :(
At Keys View.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And then, back.  The same beautiful ride, reversed.  In the right country, out and backs are great.

Descending Keys View Road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: I Gotta Feelin’, by the Dallas String Quartet

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 2,800’; for the tour: 3,088 miles, 125,200’; for the year: 42 riding days, 1,823 miles, 68,200’, and 3 flat tires

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 3,088 miles (4,970 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Gregory GarceauAlong with Death Valley, Mojave National Preserve, Lake Mead, the Grand Canyon, Arches N.P., Canyonlands N.P., Big Bend N.P., Guadalupe N.P., and Organ Pipe National Monument, Joshua Tree is one of the greatest places I've ever been to. Maybe THE greatest. Loved the hand over hand climbing on those boulders.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonHappy to hear that all went well with your son's op.
What a fantastic place Joshua Tree is! Beautiful video!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauIt’s a pretty special place, alright. Probably best visited on foot, really. We’ve never been to Big Bend or Guadalupe, but one of these winters.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. It’s a great relief, alright. It’s been a big worry in the back of our minds for months. And you’re right, Joshua Tree is quite a special place.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott AndersonIn my over-exuberance, what I really meant to say is that I LOVE the American deserts.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago