A grim update - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

December 10, 2020

A grim update

We’ll post the day’s ride later, but in the meantime I thought I would reassure anyone that saw today’s horrible news from Boulder City and wondered if it might have involved us.  There was a terrible accident this morning just south of town, in which a truck ran into a group of 20 bicyclists, killing 5 and sending three others to the hospital.  Everything about this story sounds tragic.  It was a celebration ride honoring one of the members of the group, all of whom were reported to be serious, completely competent cyclists - some of them were apparently professional racers.  They were on a 135 mile loop from Boulder City, south to Searchlight and back through Nipton, a ride they’ve often taken according to the reports.

Too horrible to contemplate.  But in any case, it wasn’t us.

An update.  More information has come out about the incident.  This was the 15th running of this loop by the group, an annual tradition.  They were accompanied by a support vehicle, and seven of them had dropped behind it to draft as a relief from high winds.  They were pinned when the  truck rear-ended their support vehicle.

A second update, 6 days after the accident.  The driver was arrested for DUI today, and is facing multiple charges that could imprison him for decades.  He had methamphetamines in his system, and fell asleep at the wheel.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Kathleen ClassenWe were thinking of you as we just heard. Tragedies of this magnitude make the Canadian news. We feel shaken from our side of the border. I imagine that feeling is very much magnified for you. What a terrible accident. So many lives forever changed. Ride safely you two, and thanks for posting.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Andrea BrownWhat a terrible incident. Thanks for giving us this update.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenThanks, Kathleen. So awful, and such a sobering reminder. Make the best of your days, because there are no guarantees. Hope you’re all well up there and making the best of the situation.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks for the update, Scott. A tragic accident. Glad you two are safe and well.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnThat's horrible!

Glad you are safe and well.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. Such a disturbing incident, and a tragedy for so many. Very sobering.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago