Still in Geneva - Alps Wanderings of Chuck and Cory 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023 to June 15, 2023

Still in Geneva

Well, it could be raining.

Our bikes are supposed to be on tonight’s Thursday flight from Montréal, hopefully getting here Friday at 9:50am local time. This is a two day delay!  Arrrg!

Cory will be checking the gps tracker that is in his bike box. 

On Wednesday we had trouble finding a hotel under 400CAD. The best airport hotel was 325 Swiss francs EACH, so about $1000CAD!  We got a large room just inside the France border for 300CAD. 

On Thursday we moved to a cheap hotel, this time only 115CAD with breakfast. 

Thursday was another beautiful day here in Geneva, even a bit hot. 

We walked about downtown near the lake, and had a couple stops for beer, pizza, and more beer. 

We have a day pass for the transit so we took a tram to see the United Nations buildings. They looked nice but they don’t let common folk on the grounds. Same with the WTO. 

Walking back we noticed that the small ferry boats crossing the lake were part of the transit system and included in our pass. We went across the lake, and back on a different one. It was a nice little trip. The actual tourist boat ride is 130CH, or about 200CAD, for an hour!

First beers on the Geneva waterfront.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hawaiian pizza time
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the transit boat
Heart 1 Comment 0
The UN. “Broken Chair” memorial to civilian war deaths just behind us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Rhône River flowing from Lac Léman (Lake Geneva).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesSwitzerland is a horrifically expensive place. We have, in the past, stocked up on food before entering the country, and made planned stops in Germany or France close to the border to get more reasonably priced accommodations. That being said, the country is gorgeous and the cycling infrastructure is terrific. We look forward to following the rest of your trip.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago