Week Four - Hiding From Old Man Winter - CycleBlaze

February 13, 2022

Week Four

My Sunday rumination will be lost if I don’t write it down. I think Tucson is not a good town for laundry detergent sales. The weather is finally warming up into the low 80’s. Many people, male and female, are wearing the most minimal of clothing. Laundry is easy for them!

I participated in two club rides this week. The weather was warm and not windy on Monday. We had a good turnout. Thursday was cold by Tucson standards. Douglas said that it was too cold for desert rats. Indeed, the four cyclists who participated on Thursday were all snowbirds!

I met two friends for lunch this week. Tom and I ate at the convenient Panda Express on La Cholla next to the path. He then suggested the China Phoenix on Oracle for my next lunch out. Jan and I ate there - the veggies were perfectly cooked - just a little crunchy. They have inexpensive week day lunches. I will be back!

I've ridden 28 days in a row. My shortest day was the day I tried out the new bicycle. I'm proud of myself for taking full advantage of the warmth and sunshine. Even though it hasn't all been blue skies. I left at 7 AM one morning to beat the wind that was coming in. It was 34 degrees, but warmed quickly into the 50's. That wind blew in rain the next morning. I had a shorter afternoon ride after the rain passed through. 

I've continued to enjoy looping  the loop. Seven days in a row last week did not spoil the fun for me. I am getting more particular about traffic on the path. Now I am not quite as interested in people watching. I prefer my bicycle highway to be mostly empty! I don't mind leaving early in the cold to accomplish that goal. The northern section around Campbell and Oracle is most likely to have pedestrian traffic. That area also has more narrow foot bridges to navigate. I like to get that section finished early. The southern piece, along Julian Wash, is generally quite deserted. Traffic is never an issue there. Wind is. Even paradise has it's drawbacks!

I like the bright blue door and the stencil details. The attached house also had stenciling, but it was in the shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monday’s club ride had a nice turnout. We rode to Marana.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tuesday I was out at dawn to beat the wind. I saw the sun hit the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is another gleaner of pecans. No helmet throwing today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I met Tony and Ed on a test break. They ride four days a week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tony’s photo of me.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dave escorted me most of the way around the loop. He also showed me Pat’s hotdog stand. There was a line of people waiting. $2.75 for a chili dog.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I had to send Jacinto photographic evidence that I had purchased avocados and their size. I paid .58 each. At home, he paid $2.29 each because Mexican avocados are currently banned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I like all of the arms on this saguaro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saturday was a busy bicycle day. All of these cyclists arrived separately.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 1969 GTO Judge! I owned an identical one in my early 20’s! It made my entire vacation to see such a finely restored car.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMemories!

In my early 20s, I owned a '62 Honda Superhawk that ran sometimes, and an old Schwinn Varsity 10 speed that was even older and worked most of the time. But I do remember the Judge! I was finishing college in '69.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Long time bicycle friend, Tom, and I rode a few miles together to lunch. I soon cut him loose as I was lagging behind. Tom is only 24 years older than me, but I still can’t keep up!
Heart 2 Comment 1
jerry witherspoonTom is a genuine outlier!

spoon
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 314 miles (505 km)
Total: 1,354 miles (2,179 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rachael AndersonI wish I was there although I can’t bike right now because of my surgery. I get the splints out my noise tomorrow. Yippee! I haven’t been on my bike or hiking since last Monday. That’s the longest I’ve gone without exercise in many years.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezHow is your body taking the no exercise thing? I find I'm old enough that if I don't keep moving, things stiffen up and start to get creaky. It's a bit scary, but certainly incentive to keep moving!

I've been stretching twice a day while I'm here. My body is the happiest it's been in several years. I suspect a piece of that is retiring from bus driving. I think that was hard on my body. A problem area for me was my left shoulder, where the seat belt crosses. Because I'm tall, I had extra pressure on that shoulder. 23 years of driving for hours and hours every day does take a toll. Finally, my shoulder is happy. I can rotate in every direction and it feels 'free'.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly IniguezIt definitely is an issue both physically but also emotionally. If I feel so much happier when I get outside to bike or hike. I also had issues when I was working because I sat all day. The body is meant to move!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezI hear you.

Being able to breath is nice, also! I have a couple of friends who have had your same surgery. The recovery sounds miserable.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
jerry witherspoonIts now that palindrome - 2-2-22. Am eagerly awaiting next post!

spoon
Reply to this comment
2 years ago