By train to London - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2022

By train to London

Our friend Matt is an artist. And that’s a genuine fact, he’s just finished an art degree. This morning he took us along to see an exhibition of some of his fellow art students works. It was quite a long walk along the river. Along the way we met a very interesting character, a fellow boat owner who knew Matt, who jumped into a very animated description of almost being killed by a drunk man. There are a lot of these interesting characters in England it seems, far more so than in Denmark. Anyway, we eventually made it to see the exhibition, and it was great to introduce Kevin to real art:

As you can see, he was captivated.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A commentary on fast fashion.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We weren’t sure if this one was finished.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

There was clearly quite a spectrum in terms of how many hours had been put into the works. This next student for example, had hand crafted a beautiful oak table and chairs, made all the bowls and the lamps and, while the end result looks like a kitchen showroom, this young artist had clearly put in an extraordinary effort.

Heart 6 Comment 0
This one not so much.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesKevin could do better!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After all that art we needed to stop on the swings on the way back and let the little ones have some fun time.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
He’s still doing this.
Heart 5 Comment 0

And then it was almost time for us to leave. It had been a great 24 hours in Bath, so nice to catch up with Matt. Hopefully it won’t be so long before we meet again.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0

We said goodbye to Matt at the train station and jumped on another train, this one bound for London Paddington. It was a fine journey although things got a bit more stressful at the station, with people rushing about here there and everywhere. They even needed to make special signs to try and get people to take it easy.

Dea joining in with the rushing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The first train was crowded so we waited for the next one. No need to rush!
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Paddington we took the tube to St Pancras and walked to our nearby hotel. Along the way we passed a Burger King and thought that would do for dinner. You might think it’s a shame to come to London, home of some of the finest restaurants in the world, and then eat Burger King, But London is also home to some of the finest hotels in the world, and let me tell you, we weren’t staying in one. It was a small basement room, we could hear quite a bit of noise from other guests, and the door nearly took Dea’s hand off, but it was good enough for one night. 

St Pancras is probably one of the finest railway stations in the world too. There is a big fancy hotel in the building, which is not the one we were staying in, by the way.
Heart 5 Comment 0

I went out to get some supplies and to check where the Eurostar terminal was, for we had another early start in the morning. I found it really crazy how many people there were everywhere and how busy everyone was. It was also crazy to see food delivery cyclists weaving about in the traffic with no helmets and no lights. I would not want to do that work here. The big city just isn’t a place for me. Luckily we would be on our way back to Belgium early the next morning.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0