Hobart bound - Three old blokes tackle the Tasmania Trail - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2022

Hobart bound

Margate to Hobart

Last day!   The  first few days seemed to go at a normal pace, but this last week has flown by. Today was just a short ride into Hobart, much like the celebratory ride into Paris the Tour does each year. I’d arranged for Cherie to turn up with the champagne flutes along the Sandy Bay shoreline but she didn’t show.

The view from our room in Margate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Steve gets an urgent alert on his health and well-being app advising him that his toothpaste is running dangerously low.
Heart 4 Comment 0



The 30 odd kilometres we were facing today didn’t justify the full English breakfast we devoured at 7.30 but we devoured it none the less. We rolled down the hill from our B and B to battle the peak hour traffic heading towards Kingston before turning off to Blackmans Bay and finding a fire trail that led us into Kingston and one final coffee. And it was one of the best coffees of the trip - as Steve will testify.

Back on the bikes we had one last 3k climb over Bonnet Hill into Taroona and suburbia. There’s a wide verge and a perfectly smooth bitumen surface so the climb was mildly enjoyable despite my fatigued state. The downhill was even better!

Heart 4 Comment 0
Last bit of dirt for our bikes.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The shoreline through the ‘burbs is quite spectacular. I peeled off at Sandy Bay leaving Steve to find his own way to his hotel in Salamanca without my guidance. Hopefully he got there.

Zooming through Taroona.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Steve fails to heed my directions and heads towards Launceston.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A welcome beer with Cherie (who is smiling whilst holding her breath)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a great trip.  The vital stats were as follows: 734 kilometres ridden, 10,254 vertical metres climbed, 5 punctures for Pete, 2 for me and none for Steve. The total riding time was 63 hours and 18 minutes over 12 days. I thought we were a chance of breaking the record for the Tassie trail but just missed it. That record goes to a Tasmanian woman Nicole Frane who completed the entire trail in 32 hours without a break. Bet she didn’t watch any ants.

The weather gods smiled on us once again and the two younger blokes I travelled with were fantastic company and put up with my oddities and appalling sense of direction.
My great mate Ray would always ask at the end of a tour: “What was your best day?”

For Pete and Steve it was the day from Miena to Ouse, a varied and interesting day through a wide range of environments.

Heart 4 Comment 0

For me it was the climb up to Miena in perfect riding conditions. It was misty, cool and still. There was virtually no traffic and all you could hear were the birds and silence. I love riding by myself and just listening to what’s around me.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Thanks for reading and until next time…………

Dennis

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 752 km (467 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Suzanne GibsonGreat tour. I enjoyed reading along. Loved seeing your landscapes
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Frank DenmanGreat read now I have to wait for your next tour keep smiling and see ya on the road xx
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cherie McLeanThanks for journaling the tour de Tassie. Loved reading about your adventures and seeing all the photos (and knowing you were all upright and alive!). 🥂💕
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamThanks for that I am sorry you have finished wil miss it with my morning coffee
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Judy SmithWell done, Dennis! Quite an achievement! Thanks for the blog and lovely photos. Love to Cherie...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Tricia GrahamThanks for reading!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Frank DenmanThanks Frank!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Brianna DallThanks for sharing.
It was an entertaining read with lots of beautiful photos. I loved the creek crossing and the fog at the top of the pass.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago