A ride on Lake Constance's eastern shore - Swiss roots but no Large Hadron Collider - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2019

A ride on Lake Constance's eastern shore

Cycling from Uhldingen to Friedrichshafen

A view of last night's hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was an easy start from the Hotel Pilgerhof this morning. The lakefront hotel is 500 feet down a hill from the Lake Constance cycle path. This hotel outside of Ohldingen was a good place to overnight. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best of the tour. It is not often that European breakfasts include scrambled eggs and bacon. I love European breakfast but the smell of bacon says “Good morning, Tom!” 

The prehistoric stilt houses were very well done.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a short cycle to Pfahlbrauen, a reconstruction of a prehistoric, 3500 BC, stilt house village on the lake. It was another of the vouchers that Radweg Reisen provided with the tour. I found it an interesting and a nicely done historic site. I would recommend cycle tourists to make a stop on tour. 

Tourists and cycle tourists plenty in Meersburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was mid-morning when I entered the city gate of Meersburg. It was also coffee and cake time. You know the story. This town was rocking with tourists. It is a popular stop for cycle tourists. It is obvious over the past two days that the eastern shore of the lake is more popular with tourists. The towns are beautiful, attractions plentiful with many options for food and drink. Meersburg did not disappoint. My companions and I spent the morning wandering the lower and upper villages on foot. 

Such beautiful views of the lake from upper Meersburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was past noon, and we agreed to head to Friedrichshafen for lunch. It was going to be more of a “linner” (lunch and dinner). The cycling was easy following the Lake Constance cycle path. It is well marked, paved, and has little elevation changes in this segment. The group relied on one of our companions who used his Garmin to route us to the hotel. This choice of hotel was not optimal. It is about 1.2 miles from the city center with a limited selection of dining opportunities.  

Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen
Heart 0 Comment 0

Radweg Reisen also provided an admission voucher to the Zeppelin Museum. Our group was not interested in cycling. The hotel front desk recommended a taxi since it would be cheaper with 5 passengers. Friedrichshafen was a major base for zeppelin production. The allies ordered the manufacturing facilities destroyed after WW-I. The museum was somewhat interesting and not very large. I would not recommend a visit to other cycle tourists.  

Friedrichshafen
Heart 0 Comment 0

I spent a peasant evening walking the streets of the waterfront and old town. I found restaurants to be standard priced. Eating waterfront, I felt the group’s choice was excellent with good food at good prices. 

It was a clear day and I could see the Alps from the Friedrichshafen observation Tower.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow’s ride takes us across the German-Austrian border to Bregenz. It’s another typical ride of 25 miles. I must say I enjoy the shorter miles on this tour. The towns are so inviting to explore. 

Baskets of artichoke blooms at the entrance of the hotel this morning
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 155 miles (249 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWill you be going over to Lindau Insel tomorrow? It is well worth the little detour on and off the causeway. When in Bregenz you might want to check out the Pfanderbahn, a cable car ride to the top of the local mountain. Great views if the weather is clear.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago