Tarascon to Cabrières-d'Avignon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2023

Tarascon to Cabrières-d'Avignon

Great day’s riding despite obstacles coming in threes.

Knowing we have a slightly bigger day ahead, we try for an early start and get out the door around 9:00am. Today we are heading to Cavaillon and then about 13 kilometres northeast to a small town called Cabrières-d'Avignon. Here, we’ve been invited to stay by the friend of a NZ friend and we’re very much looking forward to being able to chat about cycling but also other things too.

We thank our gite host as we leave and head towards the Tarascon city walls and the trail out of town.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path is straight and smooth. Temperatures are rising and on our right are the Alpilles rising to great heights. On the plains gliders are being towed into the skies and released. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We pick up lunch at St Rēmy but continue on to a small town where there is shade in the main place near the church.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we follow shared roads for a while until around a bend we find the road completely blocked. A school bus has missed a bend and come off the road blocking it by angling across it. Ann starts looking for another route but then I spot a bit of a worn path on the other side of the road barrier. There’s a catch though because a canal has to be negotiated first. It’s a bit tricky but reasonably wide with a rock at one end that the bikes need to be lifted over. We manage all that though, wish the tow truck drivers bon chance and continue on our way.

How to lift a bus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0


We reach Cavaillon and cross the Durance early afternoon. When we stop at a supermarket the skies are clouding over and bang on time, literally, there’s an enormous clap of thunder and flash of lightning and the rain comes down- heavily- Obstacle 2. Fortunately, we are able to take refuge, with a number of other locals, in the foyer of the supermarket. It’s an interesting cross section of the community from young teens to security men to family groups. 

Crossing the Durance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the supermarket foyer, as the rain pours down outside. Ann trying to find a route out.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After about a hour, the rain stops, and we head out. It takes a bit of ducking and diving to find the cycle route and the Cavaillon Voie verte but not before our second obstacle- a completely blocked off street that requires us to lift our bikes over strategically placed gigantic rocks.

Obstacle 3.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On our way at last, the Voie verte is impressive and such easy cycling. Speeds in the 20s are easily reached!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Just a tinge of purple on the lavender.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the cycleway we reach Coustellet quickly and from here take the road up to Cabriēres. Here we are greeted by our friend and Nico the Spaniel. We enjoy a restorative glass of wine on the terrace and reflect on a great day overcoming obstacles as well as sharing backgrounds and experiences and learning a little about life in the Luberon.

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,521 km (945 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0