Prayssac to Fumel - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

Prayssac to Fumel

Hot on the Lot.

It’s a full on sun, hot day in the offing as, after a restorative breakfast of meusli, tea, coffee and baguette with apricot jam, we head for the gate of our gated resort. We decide to take the road to Pescadoires and join the Lot cycle path there. The traffic is light and we find the turnoff easily. Before long we’re on the path stretching endlessly before us. 

Farewell resort life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

And that’s about our day really. It isn’t of course - we continue to revel in the beauty of this river route, the rustic old buildings we spot along the way and the many varieties of trees- many we’re unfamiliar with. Some houses and the occasional chateau are distant on hilltops, others up close to the trail. This morning, for the first time in a while pecheurs are trying their luck. For some reason, we saw many more further north.

At Puy L’Eveque we content ourselves with the view across the river, and continue along the banks. The loops in the river are wider after this and pretty soon we start on the Voie verte that runs almost all the way  to Fumel where we play to stay. It’s a beautiful cycleway; sealed, shady, and so easily managed on a hot day.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Puy L’ Eveque.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s tempting to cheat and cut out one or two of these loops, but we resist.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stop for an hour for lunch and then doze in the heat, before tackling the final 12 kilometres to Fumel. They are a relaxing last few kilometres  despite the heat of the afternoon. We’re on a raised path above the river and catch frequent glimpses of the deep green water through the trees that line the trail.  At Fumel the old railway station still stands, though boarded up.

Lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fumel’s old gare.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coming into Fumel we identify our goal- the church, which is next to our place. But  there’s  a ‘route barrē’ on the road up that’s dusty and rough. In the end we walk it.  Once at the top we call our host and soon we’re ensconced in the cool of the apartment .

Later we take a walk up to the local chāteau and take in the views of the Lot and where we’re headed tomorrow.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 1,377 km (855 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
BobandMary CummingAgain some stunning scenery !
Reply to this comment
10 months ago