Sunday September 22 The Day We Go Off Piste But Reach Divaca. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2019

Sunday September 22 The Day We Go Off Piste But Reach Divaca.

September 22 Sunday. 57Kms.

The Day We Go Off Piste But Reach Divaca.

A superstar breakfast- meusli, scrambled eggs, tomato slices with mini mozzarella and fresh fruit- starts us back on the 409 south of Postojna. 

Such care was taken with the presentation. And with the consumption !
Heart 2 Comment 0

It’s a pleasant day for cycling, though we’re  aware that a weather change is on the way. A huge rock formation stands out on the horizon to our right. We climb very gradually and then have an 8% descent.

The lure of the quiet road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Podomas bell tolled midday.
Heart 2 Comment 0

By midday we’ve turned off the 409 and taken 444 to reach Podamos. When we check with a Canadian couple who have detailed maps, these maps deliver the awful truth that we should have stayed on 409 as we are now headed for Stanjel which is further east than we wish to go. Reluctant to retrace the 9 kms back uphill, we decide to go across country. 

Checking MapsMe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wrong road but together
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ll cut across here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This inevitably takes us uphill also, at a gradient so steep we’re reduced to walking part of it. This uphill trek takes almost an hour out of our day, but eventually we find the direction of Storje and also a newer busier road to Senozece. The weather begins to change to rain and we put on rain jackets and get our lights going. Somewhere, in the middle of nowhere, a group of Sunday roadies pass us on a climb with a few grunts of encouragement. We keep up with them briefly, though their carbon fibre bikes, unhindered by baggage, make it no contest. We also have a few years on them! 

Small vineyards in this rock sheltered hillside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From on high, we have a view of the massive rock we cycled beside in the morning- we have made a long u shaped diversion. It hasn’t been entirely unpleasant as the views and the territory must be among the most pristine we’ve seen in Europe but it has been quite draining.

The wrong way.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At last, as the drizzle is turning the afternoon particularly gloomy, we reach Divaca, our revised goal for the day. We stop outside a terraced bistro and book a room. It’s expansive and very brown but cosy. For dinner we finish off whatever food we have left and then it’s lights out. Tomorrow will be only 36km to Koper on the Adriatic and a further 20 or so to Piran, but the forecast is not good; in fact it’s wet. Oh well, there’s always breakfast to look forward to.

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,483 km (1,542 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tricia GrahamWhen we did thus we took exactly the same wrong road and in teaming rain but having little idea where we were went back up the hill !!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago