Map of Sardinia and Sicily - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

Map of Sardinia and Sicily

Option 1

The Ferries are booked but the actual routes still being worked upon.  Scopolamine patches have been added to our first aid kit.

Ferry from Tanger to Barcelona March 29, 2023 (Leaves midnight, arrives March 31 @ noon)

Ferry from Barcelona to Porto Torres April 2, 2023 (Leaves 02:30, arrives April 3 @1645)

Ferry from Cagliari to Palermo, April 8, 2023 (leaves 1700, arrives April 9  @0500)

This is the original idea, now up for debate.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonYour narrative states you’re catching the ferry to Palermo, but your map shows you landing in Trapani?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks Scott, good catch, We arrive in Palermo April 9
Will fix the map.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another option
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've been in touch with Scott and Rachael Anderson gleaning information about routes and Sicily. And the rendezvous with them April 16 and 17 will happen in Patti. https://www.cycleblaze.com/jou...

Whew, Maybe it's coming together with the input from Scott and Rachael Anderson. The maps might not be spot on with the roads taken, drawn using the "cycling" feature. However, each day destination is accurate. 

Looking forward to the "cycleblaze rendezvous" that the Anderson's have facilitated.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 19
Scott AndersonJust a few thoughts. I’d bike around the north side of Etna through Randazzo rather than through Catania. Very scenic, much quieter. Also, if you can fit it in I’d go through Tropea on your way up the Calabrian coast.

Roughly when do you expect to be in Sicily, Basilicata and Puglia?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonHi Scott and Rachael
That's our dilemma, too much to see and so little time this time.
We plan 6 weeks in Morocco starting Feb 15th. So that places us in trying to get across to Albania starting April 1. We need to be in Holland at least a week before we fly home June 18th.
Patrick wanted to cycle some of the area close to Holland that he did growing up. However, we also want to see more of the Balkan countries. So that is why this is option 1, the original plan to then cycle directly from Durres Albania to Holland. Now we are thinking we'd rather take more time in the Balkans, get to Vienna and take the night train to Brussels.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonTo answer when to be in Italy more specifically, ferry to Barcelona April 1st and a day there, Ferry to Porto Torres Sardinia, 5 days there and ferry to Palermo. Thanks for the suggestions and open to more!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensWe’ll have to keep tabs on you then, as conceivably we could cross paths somewhere. We start in Palermo on 3/16 and leave Sicily at Messina on about 4/20. After that we’ll spend about four weeks crossing Basilicata and Puglia. With our frequent multi-night stays I’m sure you’ll overtake us somewhere along the way.

And one more suggestion since you invited it, that I was thinking of over dinner. It’s a much hillier crossing, but I’d go further north crossing Basilicata rather than staying so close to the sea - maybe through Pollino National Park. The interior of Basilicata is exceptional.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonFantastic, we'll check out the suggestions, keep them coming. And for sure we need to keep locations of each other, would absolutely love that we finally meet on the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonWhat is your over all plan after Sicily and boot of Italy?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensIt’s a three part itinerary, each about a month long. We fly in to Palermo and bike to Scilla, just across the strait from Messina. Then we’re going to catch the train to Cosenza and bike across Basilicata and Puglia, ending in Termoli. Then on the train again, north up the coast to Pesaro. From there we’ll make a horseshoe north to Trento and then back south again to Bologna for the flight home on June 13.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonAnother thought on the unpublished part of your tour. We’re you planning on biking through Croatia? We’re you aware that it is joining the Schengen Zone on New Years Day? I’m sure it’s good for them, but we’re sorry to see it for selfish reasons. We were hoping to go back again someday and use it to stretch our time in Western Europe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonExcellent, and then we will be home June 18th, you're invited to come visit us in Boise
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonYou'll not go along any part of the coast? We would have at the most 2 1/2 months in Schengen countries so should be all good. But as always appreciate the heads up when there is information that we might not be aware of.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensNot the Tyrrhenian Coast, which we’ve biked along most of in previous tours. We’ll be biking along parts of the Adriatic coast, but only north of Bari.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensWe were thinking maybe sometime around July 8th for a joint anniversary celebration.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensThat is a must do! Let the planning begin!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonHave you stayed at any of these bike hotels? https://ciclabilisiciliane.com/en/bike-hotels-in-sicily/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott AndersonJust realized, we will be home (June 18th) and you guys will probably still be in Europe, we will need a electronic meetup to celebrate July 8th (our 28th)
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensNo, we’ll be home before you. Our Schengen time is up June 13th. We don’t have a schedule in mind for after we get back, but I imagine we’ll be coming through in late June.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensNope zero for ten. Sorry to be so useless.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonWoo, hoo! See you in Patti, if not before.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI’m so excited to finally meet the two of you! You sure have an exciting tour planned.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago