Day 7: Winthrop to Omak - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2021

Day 7: Winthrop to Omak

What a difference a pass makes

“I need a great-great granny gear” Rachel says trying to get over Loup Loup pass. “You’d fall over,” says Patrick. We keep plodding along.

We took David’s advice on how to leave town, go back to 20 East, instead of taking the bridge over the Methow river, go straight on Eastside Road. The snow line is at 4100 feet and the summit of Loup Loup pass is 4036 feet and the sky looks ominous, we choose not to stop at the Smoke Jumper’s training camp. The back road takes us around Twisp, so we ride back to town to have a second breakfast at the Cinnamon Twisp Bakery and shop for lunch supplies.

A storm is chasing us, and we hear thunder at one point, and we can see a storm in front of us.  There is road construction, which is to our advantage in the climbing because traffic comes in groups, with periods of silence. It’s another slog for Rachel, after this pass, only two more.

We finally reach the summit of Loup Loup Pass, and as we are taking pictures and layering with more clothes for the downhill, another cyclist rides up. Woody is from Sandpoint ID and on a short tour with minimal gear. We head down, knowing at some point the “joy ride will turn to nightmare” for a hill with another 260 feet elevation gain awaits us in the middle of the downhill. We drop down to what is now high desert.

In Okanagon as we pass the American Legion Park, we see a cyclist setting up his tent and we pull in, we are ready for a food break before the final push to Omak. Robert Ferrari is from Virginia and blogging “Northern Tier with a Purpose” by SteadyCadence.”(posted on that other cycle journal site) He gives us his card, Team zero.org End Prostate Cancer and says he is a survivor and doing this ride asking for donations.

We arrive at Lynette and Larry WS about 5pm. Lynette is an artist working in cut glass making scenes in old window frames. Larry has retired from teaching, after a long career and now drives the school bus. They have a beautiful big garden including lots of fruit trees. We enjoy a great evening dinner and conversation, they are fascinating people. Larry walks us over to the Omak Hill where the Omak Stampede Suicide Race occurs. Their daughter nicknamed “Gus” joins us; she has lived in NZ for a year, and is a specialist in garlic. Also her dog, Tundra, a gentle white great pyrenees that makes the rounds to be petted.  Another great evening.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting mailbox display on the back road to Twisp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Woody from Sandpoint ID
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Robert from Virginia "cycling the northern tier for a purpose"
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Closeup of the frame repair, Patrick picked up red paint to cover the repair
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lynette's cutglass artwork
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lynette and Larry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very near to our hosts house is the hill that the Suicide Race takes place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Terry OBrienHi Racpat ,
It Wednesday June 9th and We are taking a rest day in Republic. If you catch up to us let us know

Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe just arrived in republic, also taking a rest day tomorrow. We are heading down to the brew pub, 208 344 6801....text
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Terry OBrienTwo passes earns a rest day
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 268 miles (431 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ron SuchanekLoving the journal so far.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Aaron RosenthalVery fun to catch up on your journal and relive our trip across those passes in 2006. Small world -we know Woody and Marnie. They used to live in Crested Butte, CO. We did a bike tour with them in Italy through BAC. We are currently on the Great Divide Route in NM.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago