Day 61: Waukesha to Port Washington - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2021

Day 61: Waukesha to Port Washington

Serendipity on the Trail

“Are you Rachel?” the cyclists asks then continues, “That must be Patrick, I’m Paul you’d contacted me through Warmshowers but I couldn’t host you.” We are crossing a bridge on the other side of Cedarburg and almost to Port Washington.

After a fantastic breakfast, Barb and Gene show us the way out of town, first continuing on the Glacial Drumlin Trail to the new Berlin Trail, staying with us until the junction to the Oak Leaf Trail. As Gene is explaining the map, two cyclists with loaded bikes arrive. They are Pat and Shevonne who had also contacted Barb & Gene for a home stay but Barb’s message wasn’t received in time and they stayed in a $169 hotel. Prices for accommodation have increased and especially on weekends. (Pat and Shevonne blog site is Two Slowpokes on Spokes)

We say goodbye to new friends, and thank Barb and Gene for their hospitality.  “Follow the Oak Leaf signs,” they say as we ride off. The other cyclists are heading south as we go north. The cycling on the biketrail is great, especially considering we are skirting a huge city like Milwaukee. Most of the time we are in the trees, or following a river. There are many road crossings though where we have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic. With this it is fairly slow going. We follow the Oak Leaf trail until we reach Bradley Road, then there is a 3 mile eastbound jog on city streets. The advantage of this is we pass by a gas station where we pick-up some cold drinks. Not many gas stations along bike trails….

The Ozaukee Trail takes us north again away from Milwaukee and we begin to see soybean fields and farms again. It has warmed up considerably again today. In Cedarburg we make a little detour to go to a frozen custard place: we cannot leave Wisconsin without trying this delicacy. During our ride we have been texting with our host Casey. He has been in a sailing race today, but coordinates this by arriving at his home only moments after we get there.

He lives very near downtown, we all walk to the harbor, out on the jetty and then to the park where the Lion’s Club has a band playing. Some hot dogs and canned beer as appetizers. Later in the evening Casey does a great meal on the BBQ:  pork tenderloins, sweet corn and zucchini.

Tomorrow is a half rest day, shorter miles continuing on the Sheboygan Interurban Trail. Our host has asked us to arrive after 2pm so there will be no hurry.

Barb and Gene show us the way out of town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junction to the Oak Leaf Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barbara and Gene, great WS hosts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serendipity on the trail, meeting other cyclists
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Port Washington
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying live music with our host, Casey
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,552 miles (4,107 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Joanna HanselmannCan’t leave Wisconsin without frozen custard! Joanna, Sleepy Hollow, Il
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonSo disheartening to see this community be the victim of such tragic and terrible news.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensWe "talked" (text) with them when this happened. It is sad, as this community is quite special. The community working on healing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago