A Side Trip To Bari - Wandering in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2022 to May 16, 2022

A Side Trip To Bari

Today was for picking up my brother’s rental bike in Bari.  We’re early, so head over to the castle. Damn, can’t get up on top, but there are some interesting exhibits inside. The incredibly well preserved Greek pottery was cool.

Castello Svevo di Bari.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The stories these pieces tell.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another huge urn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arriving at the bike rental, it’s chaos as they are in the midst of getting their city tours organized. “Come back in 30 minutes”. Breakfast was just a cappuccino and a cornetto, so more food would be good. Consulted Google Maps and found a highly reviewed place a few blocks away.  It was difficult making a decision as all of the sandwiches looked amazing.  Our timing was good. There was no line when we arrived and no one behind us so we could chat with the employee who grew up in Toronto (not Taranto). As we were leaving we saw the line extending for several people out the door. There was a big Race for the Cure event earlier. Now one of my  problems with travel is that I’d like to stay here long enough to try all of the offerings, but that’s not going to happen. The photo only shows maybe half of the selection. Mastro Ciccio in Bari is highly recommended.  

Why can’t we have this at home?.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou could if you lived in Europe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob KoreisTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe could also have grocery stores with better selections and cheap house wine by the carafe. Don’t think the thought hasn’t crossed my mind.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bob KoreisWe often muse, only half jokingly, about how we could live in this or that town. Except for missing the grandkids it would be a go.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob KoreisTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYour island is a beautiful place to live, but I love the walk ability of European cities. I’ll never have grandchildren, so no worries there.

Lecce is a place I’d consider. Transportation hub and central to a lot of Salento. Also large enough to have things to do through the year. Bologna is another location I’d consider. Rick Steves has referred to Freiburg as a place where you feel like you could live there and he’s right.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Go back and they wheel out the bike. I’m not particularly impressed. Just one water bottle cage? I see some surface rust on bolt heads. It has disc brakes, which I’m not familiar with and instead of a patch kit and pump, the bike comes with a couple of tubes and two cans of compressed air with some sort of sealant.  Tires aren’t particularly fresh.

Heading back to the train station, I see that we will just miss the next run toward Trani. The following train is a Frecciarossa and went aren’t getting a bike on it. The next regionale isn’t for a few hours. There is an intercity, but I’m used to seeing no bikes on those as well.  But we were in luck this day. There is a car with limited bicycle capacity. About 90 minutes later we are on our way. 

Room for six bikes on this InterCity train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonGood luck with the bike. We’ve never tried a rental.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob KoreisTo Scott AndersonThanks. My brother only has an old mountain bike, so we decided to try this option.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago