Rumours of Hills in Portugal are True! - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2022

Rumours of Hills in Portugal are True!

Zambujeira do Mar to Praia da Luz

What a beautiful spot the White Rose Hotel was, and the breakfast was excellent. We highly recommend it as a place to stay should you find yourself in Zambujeira. Our company at breakfast was a young couple on their honeymoon and a couple about our age from Maryland. It was a lively conversation, ranging from figs (they were delicious) to things to enjoy in Portugal, and the best places for sardines. 

We have been very lucky with the breakfasts this year.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, the figs are backed up by pastel de nata. Pastel de nata is a good reason to go to Portugal, though admittedly their are great ones in a bakery opposite Jean Talon market in Montreal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We tore ourselves away and headed down the road. We were aiming for the more touristed area in the Algarve so there were lots of accommodation options and we decided to make a decision on a final destination later in the day. The CN routed us on EuroVelo 1 for a bit, but when it became a sandy track we decided we could do better on the highway. We started the day with a long, gradual climb. After 45 minutes of steady cycling we had gone 8 kilometres. 

One last look at the beach in Zambujeira.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Trail side companions.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just before Odeceixe.
Heart 4 Comment 0

In Odeceixe we came across another touring cyclist, who had a flat tire. We had a brief chat but couldn’t be useful so carried on. We really admired the public art there. Then, rather than go back to the highway we went straight up to get out of town. It was ridiculous!   It did join up at the top with a lovely part of the EV 1, but it was a real grind, and not all done while seated on the bikes. When the front wheel starts coming off the cobbles it is time to push. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
This sculpture was my favourite. His hands were on the brakes, his thumb ready to change gears.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We loved this one too.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Mike AylingThat bloke really gets around!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Here I come. It gave me lots of time to admire this charming town.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Scott AndersonYes, this is how I remember Odeceixe also.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersWow this tour is not for wimps !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonDefinitely better pushing than walking even if you could ride! I really dislike cobblestones! I like the part of Portugal without many cobblestones.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking back.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Love the windmill. People in this town are probably pretty fit.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rich FrasierOh my. That even LOOKS steep! Most pictures make everything look flatter than it really is.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenPictures do make things look flat! This was steep, and a great little spot to visit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The EV 1 was great for a few kilometres and we enjoyed the quiet, but when it became a sandy track we decided on the highway again. It had a good shoulder, moderate traffic and the hills were long, but highway grades. 

We stopped for lunch in Aljezur, a spot we had considered for tonight. We had lunch at that not most atmospheric of spots, the local InterMarché. It was up on a hill, and their café had a great view, so rather than grabbing a sandwich and trying to find a nice spot off the highway, we just sat down and enjoyed where we were. 

Not quite the café view, but the parking lot view. Note the Fort on the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The shoulder was great and never disappeared.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When you are up in the wind farm you figure you must be near the top but we had a way to go yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then more highway riding on N120 which was just fine. The traffic continued to be moderate, the drivers  patient and the hills at manageable grades. Keith turned right for the last few kilometres into Luz and we were confronted with this. 

Well that is pretty clear. We were on the on ramp to the freeway, A22. Oops. The CN rerouted us.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesGotta love the inclusion of no cows on the list.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The first attempt had us pretty much riding up the side of a cliff with a road on it. We only went about 100 m before we bailed. Then we took a fascinating route through neighbourhoods and rural properties, all going up, until we were so high we couldn’t possibly go further. We said to each other as we reached the top of each hill, that we had to descend to the water…except we would go down just to go up again. It was four of the toughest kilometres we have ever done. We had some good laughs though, as we toiled away, because there was only one way out of the situation. Have I mentioned it was a glorious 29C?  I polished off all the water onboard. 

It was a beautiful slog.
Heart 5 Comment 0
More fun with mirrors.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These are the hills that never end. It became a running joke.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesI actually just wrote you an email asking if the Grampies would be too crabby to cycle some of the stuff from previous pages. But now I am going to go hide under my quilt.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

But finally they did end. We did a glorious swoop into Luz, the CN led us straight to our hotel, and we booked a second night. Why not?

View from our balcony. We are feeling very touristy and relaxed.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love this profile.
Heart 0 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyYou guys are troopers! 72 km, 850 m of ELEVATION! Look at those peaks! And look where you have ended up on the Algarve. Isn’t Portugal grand. And the coastline is so beautiful. It’s amazing how warm the water is than from the Atlantic side.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The Relive quit halfway through, but here is what we have:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vNOP4NP2M2O

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 398 km (247 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersWay to go Keith, you’re booking some great places! I don’t think your relive link is from today 🤔
Reply to this comment
1 year ago