A Very Lucky Break on the Way to Mertola - Poking Around Europe 7.0 - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2022

A Very Lucky Break on the Way to Mertola

Alcoutim to Mertola

What a fabulous day. We are loving the Alentejo. The scenery, the people, the very quiet roads, the random old stuff. We are also starting  to see other cyclists. All on organized tours of one form or another. 

Breakfast at the Hotel Alcoutim was excellent. Well fuelled we headed out. Keith is having some trouble with his derailleur and did a little tinkering before we left. It seemed to do the trick. We rolled into Alcoutim to do a wee explore of the town, and Keith made a quick purchase of WD 40. 

Looking back as we leave.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On our explore of Alcoutim.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The first 13 kilometres were on a beautiful surface with equally beautiful views. We saw exactly one car the entire time. It was very up and down, with some pretty good climbs and the reward of amazing views each time we reached the top. It was sublime. It was pretty much everything we love about bike touring. 

Looking back.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our own personal bike lane.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More bike lane.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The views were tremendous.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a turn off this fantastic road onto an equally unused highway and then were routed onto N122. There was light traffic, but always so respectful and careful. Keith had sent me ahead and I stopped and waited for him at the top of a longish hill. He had something to tell me. He had stopped for a drink, and out of habit patted the pocket where he zips his wallet.  Wallet not there. No biggie, patted his other pocket. Now there was some consternation. Not there either. He looked over his shoulder, and he had ridden about 18 km with it sitting on top of his rear rack where he put it while stowing his purchase in Alcoutim. A very lucky break. We do have an AirTag in it and we could have biked up and down those hills again looking for it, but we were very, very happy we didn’t have to. 

We stopped for a cold drink on the route. We had the nicest thing happen. A man on the patio started to smoke, and Keith, who can’t tolerate smoke, went to move. The smoker told him not to, and went for a walk instead. Keith thanked him for his thoughtfulness. The smoker rushed over to Keith when he realized we were leaving. He wanted to give us a two litre bottle of ice cold water. It was so kind, so unexpected and so appreciated. I am going to pay it forward at the first opportunity. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
These roads are ideal for cycling.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our cold drink spot where we were treated to such kindness.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Such kindness.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Anne MathersReminds me of the time a french couple in a camper van pulled over as we were slogging up a long steep climb to Enna, Sicily in 30+ heat and pulled out a huge canteen of water, then proceeded to fill up our bottles. We had just polished off the last precious drops and were parched. Angels in the nick of time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

After our break the ride was straightforward and continued to be just fabulous. We love the landscape. Even the flies were more cooperative today. When we came around the final curve into Mertola we were stunned. It is just gorgeous. We are just loving the Alentejo. 

Coming in to Mertola.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Such a beautiful entrance to the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After checking in to our hotel we had a cold drink. Keith is happy to be back in SuperBock territory.  We chatted with two cyclists on a group tour. They did a loop from Mertola today. Then another couple arrived from Canmore. They are on rented bikes for a few weeks. And then, just to add to the great atmosphere, the cyclist from Holland that we met in Alcoutim this morning arrived. He is on a self guided mountain bike tour. 

We tore ourselves away from all this fun and walked up to the church, the castle and a restoration of a traditional moorish house. 

Lots of bikes on that trailer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The church by the castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Castle Amarela.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The views were amazing.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
The lack of a guard rail on the castle wall had me being very cautious.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The keep, built in 1292!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not a great photo but that is the bridge we crossed riding into town.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cemetery on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Anne MathersIs that an archaeological site next to the cemetery?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Anne MathersYes it is. There was another one adjacent to the castle as well as one featured in the lobby of our hotel where you could look down on it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Then we did a boat tour on the river to see the town from a different angle. It was a real treat. 

Happy boaters selfie.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Our captain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We then enjoyed wine on our huge terrace overlooking the river and contemplating dinner. It has been a full, fantastic day. Our mountain biking friend is right next door, and we suggested he hop the fence between our rooms and help us polish off the bottle of wine. We were so comfortable we elected to have dinner at the hotel and it didn’t disappoint. Why do we always forget to take pictures?

Our terrace is huge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wine and a view.
Heart 3 Comment 0


We feel very lucky, and one of the men on the supported tour told us how lucky we are that we both love to do this and can do this. We couldn’t agree with him more. He is on his own on this tour because his wife has no interest in biking, which is fair enough. We are so fortunate and so grateful that we both love this. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qVn9BnG3q

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,530 km (950 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Diederik HemertHi, Dutch guy here :)

Did you end up in Serpa or choose another destination? Hope you had a pleasant ride, i really did.

Have a good Europe7, and try to not skip Holland in nr8.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenTo Diederik HemertHi Diederik - yes we did make it to Serpa. A nice ride on the highway which did not have much traffic. It wasn’t a very exciting ride but we did like the terrain of rolling hills for riding. We had a good tour of the castle today which was really quite interesting. Great to meet you. Think we will likely head for Beja tomorrow which will be a short ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesYikes, I just read this. The wallet story still has my heart racing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago