Day 42: Erie to Buffalo - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2023

Day 42: Erie to Buffalo

Heart 0 Comment 0

Rest day in Erie was quiet and restful. Spicy noodles with crab in a food court and nice coffee in the best shop in town. Throughout all this the weather had been good, but rain was forecast for the whole of the following day.

We woke to discover that local rain had passed us by. It was still overcast and we seemed likely to get wet sooner or later.

The forty NE miles to the first SAG passed along the south of Lake Erie, although we were a few hundred yards from the shore and only caught rate glimpses of it between the woods and campsites. The road was flat, with mostly vineyards to the south of us. Progress could be a struggle at times against a northerly headwind. We were grateful for the protection of the trees to our left.

First SAG was on a lakeside campsite. Whilst I deliberated about putting on a rain jacket I felt a few spots.  By the time I’d reached the road again it was raining.

The remaining 50 miles were a challenge. The rain was unpleasant enough but had the additional effect of making the road sticky and covering us in fine grit. Our tyres too. Nineteen of the 23 of us punctured, with some people getting through four tubes on the day.  I was spared, though I did stop to help/hinder three people.

Second SAG was at a miserable ice cream stall. I got a big roll from the store next door instead, which saw me through the remaining 20 miles home.

A much-needed cleaning station has been set up for us at the hotel. Several of us remarked how difficult it was to remove the debris from our bikes. We noticed the same thing when we had our own showers.

Jean had rented a car to attend a wedding the next day and took Doug, Christine, Mark and I to Niagara Falls. The journey only took 40 minutes, giving us plenty of time to see the Horseshoe and American Falls before it got dark.  Thank you Jean!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Doug and I in the rain
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve ParkerMud guards!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 miles (146 km)
Total: 2,964 miles (4,770 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Hugh MonroBravo for your new puncture proof bicycle getting you through the minefield of grit. You’re nearly there now, what an achievement.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jim LaffertyWe visited Oakland Cemetery in Niagara, to visit the grave of Captain Matthew Webb, of Channel Crossing fame.
https://oakwoodniagara.org/
Reply to this comment
9 months ago