Day - 6 Port Fairy to Port Campbell - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 3, 2019

Day - 6 Port Fairy to Port Campbell

Start of the Great Ocean Road

First note the photos are a little out of order but I am struggling with the wifi.

Today was an amazing day.  We started in Port Campbell with a weather forecast that was a little suspect but it turned out to be just fine especially since we had a push wind most of the day.  It was another long ride (106km/66mi) but it was again beautiful.  We started with more farmland but ended with scenic ocean views on the Great Ocean Road.  The Great Ocean Road is an Australian National Heritage listed 243-kilometre (151 mi) stretch of road along the south-eastern coast of Australia between the Victorian cities of Torquay and Allansford. Built by returned soldiers between 1919 and 1932 and dedicated to soldiers killed during World War I, the road is the world's largest war memorial. Winding through varying terrain along the coast and providing access to several prominent landmarks, including the Twelve Apostles limestone stack formations, the road is an important tourist attraction in the region.

We are now in Port Campbell for 2 nights which for means a rest day tomorrow which is probably a good thing because the forecast is for rain.  Nonetheless I am not going to hang around the hotel which is just an average motel.  The photos will showcase the highlights of the day even if they are out of order.

We stopped a cheese factory to see what was going on and this bench just happened to be there.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonLove the socks!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Marshia RobergeWe saw one of the benches in Ft. Lauderdale. Our guide said it cost a lot of "Moola" (groan)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We had a picnic lunch at this spectacular location called Childers Cove.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
South along the coastline
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bay of islands
Heart 2 Comment 0
A panorama of the bay of islands
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the coast line
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grotto formation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me down at the grotto.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When you leave these pull outs there are reminders to get on the correct side of the road. This is actually easier on a bike than a car especially with a mirror on you helmet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The London Bridge rock formation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The arch formation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wicked camper saying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel from last night in Port Fairy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A classic Aussie pub and old style hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I bought some of these delicious yo yos that were homemade at Rebecca’s Café. They are short bread with vanilla icing in between.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gang on the road. Note the binoculars on the back of our birder friend. He didn’t bring his own so he bought another pair making someone’s day in Port Fairy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a burned out volcano where the opening is now a lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our coffee stop was in the town Warrnambool a lovely town on the south coast. This dog agility competition was happening on the football pitch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are now on the Great Ocean Road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 106 km (66 miles)
Total: 982 km (610 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gail JohnsonWhat a beautiful road - such gorgeous scenery...FOMO!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilary JaegerFOMO here too. I wasn’t tempted by the dead rabbits or fields and sheep, but that coastline is a different story. With a tailwind to top it all off!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago