Rest day - Doubtful Sound trip - Triple Trails NZ - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2023

Rest day - Doubtful Sound trip

Today we had a rest day in Queenstown but since I have been here at least twice before I decided to do something I hadn’t done before which was a trip to Doubtful Sound with Tim.  Doubtful Sound is part of the Fiordland National Park just like Milford Sound.  One thing I learned today was the difference between a sound and a fiord.  A sound is at the end of a river flowing out into the ocean and the only real sound in NZ is Marlborough Sound.  All of the others are incorrectly named as sounds when they should be fiords.  A fiord is not created by a river rather it is a narrow rock lined waterway connected to an ocean.  The weather today was not great but it did make the fiord mystical.  Back on the bike tomorrow.

The Manipuri power station on Lake Manipuri. We had to cross this lake and then take another bus to get to the deep cove on Doubtful Sound.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The electronic chart of the area that was on the bridge and projected in the cabin area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sounds on a foggy day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of waterfalls
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the sound
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several sea birds that we saw including a Royal Albatross but I failed to get its photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A southern albatross from the internet
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we approached the Tasman Sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
A New Zealand seal colony as we approached the Tasman Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An island at the entrance of the fiord.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim on the back of the boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful waterfall on the way back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proof I was on the boat
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonThis is a historical moment. Glad you captured it on film. Well done!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0