To Lancaster - Up The Parkways - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2013

To Lancaster

Rain, rain, go away

We awoke today to a steady rain and a greatly changed forecast.  This was a disappointment, especially because we had looked forward to a loop through the battlefield before setting off to the north for Lancaster.  This didn't look at all inviting, and the ride east to Lancaster didn't particularly either.  Our weather map suggested that we were under a fairly small cloud formation, so we held off for awhile hoping for a break.  We finally got one, and shortly before checkout time we dashed off and hoped to get in as many dry miles as we could.  This worked pretty well for us and we got to York, the halfway point, still dry.  There our luck gave out though and we endured the last 30 miles in a generally mild rain that left us pretty well soaked by the time we arrived in Lancaster in late afternoon.

The good thing about this timing is that the ride itself was probably the least attractive of the trip.  Most of it was along busy highway 462 through fairly uninspiring country.  It was a good day for putting our heads down and making distance.  

The only other point of note for the day was the partial failure of Rachael's front brake, which occurred partway into our descent to the Susquehanna.  We got by with some temporary repairs, but were glad to hit bottom and generally climb the rest of the way to Lancaster so that little braking was required.  And, arriving in Lancaster we were delighted to find a bicycle store that took us in shortly before their closure for the day and replaced the defective brake.  It was a relief to be able to resume our trip the next morning on schedule.  Great service - thanks, Cycle Circle!

The total photo shoot for the day
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekA high-vis house
Reply to this comment
6 years ago

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 652 miles (1,049 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0