To Cuenca and beyond (?) - "It keeps getting better" - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2022 to September 20, 2022

To Cuenca and beyond (?)

I spent some 10 or so days in beautiful Cuenca where I picked up rock climbing, visited Parqué Nacional Cajas a couple of times and various iglesias. I also struggled a lot contemplating whether to continue on TEMBR to Peru or return to Ruben's farm to learn some life skills.

Met a Venezuelan mechanical engineer who now works in bakery due to the economic situation of Venezuela
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful Iglesia domes of Cuenca
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night view of the domes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An indigenous and western approach to working with environment
Heart 1 Comment 0
My heaven..
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chirimoya y mandarinos
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally one day I packed up bike and hit TEMBR heading towards Loja. The TEMBR by Cuenca goes around in a big loop through the mountains before crossing Pan-American. Non-TEMBR distance to this point would be some one third of what you actually do on TEMBR and minimal elevation gain. But again, TEMBR is TEMBR. By the end of it, you would want to hate it but still end up loving it.

Today, I rode some 4-5 hours and got to a broken puente with no way to cross the water other than walking through propiedad privado. By this time it was 3pm and I decided to head back to Cuenca as it was only 45-minutes the Non-TEMBR way. Fortunately on my way back, I ran into this lady cooking fresh tortillas de choclo and tortillas de trigo on a pan made of clay. So enjoyed some warm local food and eat some "Guava".

Heart 0 Comment 0
This interesting fruit is named Guava in Ecuador but in rest of the world Guava means something else..
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I contemplated whether to head towards Peru or Ruben's farm, I spent one day visiting the beautiful Pumapungo Museo where they have some rescued Guacamayas, Pericos, Loris, Aguilas, Gavilans and other avess.

Rescued Guacamayas at the Pumapungo Museo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful wild orchedeas at the museum jardine
Heart 0 Comment 0
More wild orchedeas at the museum jardine
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 14 miles (23 km)
Total: 1,506 miles (2,424 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1