South of Palenque - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2021

South of Palenque

A really short day today.

I had a business meeting after which we packed up and cycled into Palenque town.  When we rode out to Maya Bell two days ago we avoided the cycle path that ran alongside the Carretera Palenque Ruines because it was rough in places and less level than the road itself.  Today we used it mostly because it was well shaded but, boy, some of the little inclines were steep enough to remind me of the cycle paths in Korea  - the local cyclists there always walked their bikes up the inclines and seemed amazed when we rode them.  Just before town we came across a swarm of Leafcutter Ants carrying leaves back to their nest.  Quite an amazing sight.

These Leafcutter Ants seemed determined to harvest leaves on the opposite side of the cycle path to where their nest is located.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetFunny, the first (and so far only) time I saw leafcutter ants was also in Palenque--in 1983. Good to see they are still thriving there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

First chore in town was to get some shopping done at the local Chedraui.  They seem to stock everything except iso-butanol gas canisters which is what I was hoping to find.  None the less, we now have enough emergency food to make sure we won't go hungry over the next few days between here and Guatemala.

After a really good lunch at a comedor just outside town we ended up at a smart-ish hotel on the banks of the Rio Chacamax.  We got a good price and will have a last night of comparative luxury before following the river towards Tenosique de Pino Suárez tomorrow and then on to Guatemala the next day.  The hotel has a lovely swimming pool and Leigh has been enjoying cooling off in it while watching Mexican Howlers and Green Iguanas in the trees around the pool.

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 1,360 km (845 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0