Snow Canyon - Crossing Utah - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2017

Snow Canyon

Today's plan is a loop ride out northwest of Saint George, through Snow Canyon.  I wonder if we might see some snow in the higher elevations - there was still plenty of the white stuff in the mountains east of SLC, and traces of it near here when we flew in last night.

First though, breakfast next door in the inn.

The Presidents House. We're in the room on the upper right, partly hidden by the ivy. Last night and this morning I was startled by English sparrows rustling in the ivy and bumping against the glass. Look at that sky! Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Portland anymore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dining hall, Seven Wives Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were slow getting out the door today, and weren't really rolling until about 10.  Today is ideal - it's about 60 when we start, and won't break the mid-seventies all day.  We'll have to do better at getting an early start once it heats up more.

The first half or the loop was a mixed bag - the riding and scenery were as fine as we'd hoped for, but unfortunately we didn't bring our best game to the floor today. First, I picked up a flat only 12 miles into the ride, apparently from a sliver of glass.  I'm trying to get another thousand miles out of this tire, and hope I don't regret not having replaced it.   I definitely regret having brought along the wrong tube though - it's for Rachael's Straggler and its 26" wheels, not the 20" nes on the Bike Friday.  I carelessly packed it because it has a schrader valve, forgetting that the Straggler uses those also.  Something new to watch out for.  At least the patch job was successful and held up.

Second, I crashed crossing a cattle guard.  I'll bet I haven't hit the pavement in a decade - not since some idiot opened his car door on me in Italy (well, looking back over my notes I see that was in 2011 - so six years).  Fortunately I was only going about 5 mph, so I only suffered some mild road rash and the bike was fine.  Also some embarrassment, because another biker was right behind me.  After verifying I was fine, he chased down Rachael to let her know of the situation.  I was really surprised by the spill, because I hit the crossing cleanly at a 90 degree angle.  It's a widely spaced grid though, and it looks like it doesn't pair well with small wheels.  We'll have to watch for these and dismount.

Finally, the stress of the fall triggered an SVT (racing heartbeat) episode - something else that hasn't happened for quite a while.  This one took longer to resolve than usual, so it significantly slowed down our progress until Veyo, where we stopped for a bit.  

Looking north to Snow Canyon, from the outskirts of Saint George.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cholla bouquet, near Ivens. We were excited to see how much is still in bloom here. It looks like they're having a late spring too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Northbound on old highway 91
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's just a bit discouraging to have a flat only 12 miles into a tour. Let's hope this doesn't portend what lies ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Ivens Reservoir. We're thirteen miles in already, so it must be about time for lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Northbound toward Gunlock
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Paiute reservation, north of Ivens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near Gunlock Reservoir, approaching the climb to Veyo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gunlock Reservoir. The colors in this scene remind me of Andalucia, if you exchanged the sage for olive groves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prickly pear blossoms
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still following Gunlock Reservoir. Can the whole tour be this colorful, we wonder?
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was nearly 3 by the time we headed south for Snow Canyon.  Plenty of time though - the days are long now, and after a few miles rolling along top, it's all downhill for the last 15 miles.  We made good time until we reached the turnoff to the park, but after that progress slowed to a crawl as we stopped frequently to take in the stunning rock formations.  Unbelievable, really.  I'd been looking forward to the day's ride, but I really had no idea.

The park has a separate, paved bike path and  is a delight to bike through.  It looks like it has some spectacular short hikes as well.  It's much less well known than all of the other famous parks in Utah, so it is surprisingly quiet.  I won't be surprised if we look back on this as one of our favorites days of the tour.

Elevation gain: today, 3000'; for the tour, 3000'.

Dropping into the north end of Snow Canyon. OMG, this looks amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Snow Canyon
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Snow Canyon
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWow is right. The astounding thing is that Snow Canyon is a fairly minor attraction in Southern Utah.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
In Snow Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Are we having a good time yet? What does it look like?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Agave, Snow Canyon
Heart 1 Comment 0
The varnish on this cliff astonished us both. I must have stopped at a dozen spots to take a photo, and it just seemed to keep getting better.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at Snow Canyon from the south entrance. It made us wish we could go back and ride it the other direction. Some day, if we're lucky enough.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bike Fridays in the study, Seven Wives Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
A serene end to the day: on the balcony, sifting through the day's photographs and listening to the mockingbirds. This town could grow on me.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 51 miles (82 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0