Saratoga Springs to Amsterdam - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

Saratoga Springs to Amsterdam

Once again we are so thankful for such wonderful WS hosts. Tim and Maureen really made us feel so welcome. They have the sweetest dog, Molly. 

Maureen, Molly, Tim
Heart 1 Comment 0

Last night Tim offered to re-lube our bike chains since the all rains had really made a mess. What a difference that made! The drivetrain is noticeably smoother. They also gave us some helpful route tips for today. 

Along the way out of town I noticed this large stone structure so stopped to check it out. An old water tower from 1917. 

Rose Hill water tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water tower history
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
I swear, I don't see how you make reservations and are then able to keep them. Nice job! When I'm on my Trek, something is always popping up and wrecking my plans.
Has the rain from Henri hit you yet?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Traffic was busy in route 67 but the road has a good shoulder. Every kind of truck seemed to be out there, in abundance. Pickup, dump truck, semi, and who knows what else. 

We arrived at our lodging for tonight. A very nice, only one-year old Microtel by Wyndham. They had a full house so I was very glad to have booked the room. 

We saw a van with a trailer full of bicycles. They belong to a tour group of 12 cyclists. The Erie Canal Trail is a popular bike route. 

Rose writes:

We said our goodbyes to our Amazing and Wonderful Warmshower hosts in Saratoga Springs and rolled out at 9am with detailed instructions to ride with a good shoulder and avoid most hills. Stopped for a lunch break at Stewart's Shoppe along the way. The majority of route was downhill with rolling hills every now and then. What a welcome change. 
Once in town, Google took us to a dead end, locked gate, no trespassing, no way forward except to turn around. After asking two pedestrians we finally found the entrance to a foot bridge that crossed the swollen river.  Located at the top of a parking garage. 

Cobbles on our search to find the pedestrian bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally the pedestrian bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found tomorrow's trail!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last mile had some good hills. A few of which we were in the granny. One of which we walked. Straight up. If you were to ride it, you would risk the chance of the bike getting completely away from you and roll down the hill into the neighbors yard. End of tour.  No thanks.
Arrived at the Microtel inn for the night. Note to the public, it's a new hotel, very nice accommodations just no guest laundry. The Microtel attendant told me that laundry could be done at the hotel across the street.

Dinner, lunch and dinner again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 438 miles (705 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachel and Patrick HugensMaybe we meet in the middle of the Erie Canalway Trail?! We are in Brockport heading toward you.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioHi! I just saw your comment. We are in Weedsport tonight. Where will you be on Friday?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago