About us - Ireland’s Windy, wet and wonderful, Wild Atlantic Way. - CycleBlaze

About us

We are Rob and Skin, we live on a small organic farm in the NW of Ireland  not far from the town of Sligo.  We’re Warmshowers hosts and love the way the world comes to us when we’re not touring ourselves, Warmshowers has brought an eclectic gang of touring cyclists to our door.  We have done a lot of travelling, we had an early go at cycle touring a long time ago, but differing abilities meant that it wasn’t a goer.  About 10 years ago we were on a walking holiday in Brittany, France, as we waited to board the ferry home we saw a tandem bicycle, it was, and still remains, the most battered touring setup that we’ve every come across.  The bike looked like someone had tossed it over a cliff, the panniers were in rags, the aluminium fuel and drinks bottles, were completely stripped of paint and had so many dints in them that it was amazing they could still hold liquid.  We were fascinated by it, while admiring it the owners appeared, they were almost as battered at the bike, an amazing Aussie couple in their early 70s, they had spent 3 months touring through Spain, France and were now on their way to Ireland for a month. Given that the ferry journey between France and Ireland is 18 hours we had loads of time to chat.  The seed was sown!

We talked a bit about getting a tandem, but did nothing about it. Then one day browsing through a free ads paper I noticed 2 tandems for sale, Viking Saratogas, €300 each, why not I thought? Can’t go too far wrong for €300, right?  (Actually wrong, but that’s a different story)  So we bought the Saratoga, practiced, got used to it and did a tour to France; addictions start simply!

Home Sweet Home, Autumn evening
Heart 0 Comment 0
Us, on the ferry to France
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0